This delicious old-fashioned Salisbury steak recipe is made from scratch and tastes incredible! Classic ingredients for this comforting salisbury steak dinner that everyone craves.
Salisbury steak is one of those comfort dishes that always hits the spot. Little meat patties covered in gravy, a perfect addition to any table, and it goes well with so many side dishes including mashed potatoes, egg noodles, rice, or green veggies too. Every bite will remind you of your childhood as you enjoy a delicious family meal together.
Homemade Salisbury steak
While you could easily buy premade and frozen Salisbury steak meals from your grocery store’s freezer section, nothing beats the taste of homemade. It’s so easy to make this recipe from scratch that you may find yourself doing it more often. Not only that but the flavors are so much more pronounced and perfect. Can’t get that from a box. 😉
Salisbury Steak Ingredients
For the hamburger patties you will need:
-Ground beef: You will need one pound of ground beef. I am using 90% lean ground beef. You can also use ground turkey or ground pork.
-Bread crumbs: Use ½ cup of bread crumbs to help bind the patties together and add flavor.
-Egg: One small egg will help to bind the mixture together well.
-Seasonings: Use ½ teaspoon each of dried oregano and garlic powder. You’ll also want to add salt and pepper to taste.
-Olive oil: Use 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to help grease the pan when you cook the patties.
For the Salisbury steak Gravy, you will need:
-Butter: Use 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter to help cook down the ingredients to a perfect texture and to bring out the most flavor.
-Onion: You will need 1 large onion that has been peeled and sliced.
-Garlic: Use a peeled and minced clove of fresh garlic.
-Mushrooms: You will need 8.81 ounces of fresh mushrooms that have been thinly sliced. You can use brown mushrooms, white mushrooms, portobello’s or wild mushrooms.
-Thyme: Adding in 5 sprigs of fresh thyme will give your sauce a wonderful taste.
-Tomato paste: Use a tablespoon of tomato paste to add more flavor and to help thicken the sauce.
-Beef broth: Using 1 ½ cups of beef broth will give us a nice-tasting gravy.
-Red wine: Adding in ¼ cup of red wine will give a great depth of flavor. Use Pinot Noir, Merlot, or Cabernet.
How to make old fashioned Salisbury steak
Place a piece of parchment paper on a plate and set it aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine the beef with breadcrumbs, egg, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix together with a fork but do not overmix.
Wet your hands (to prevent sticking) and then divide your meat mixture into 4 equal sized balls. Press each into ½ inch thick sized oval patties and place onto your prepared plate. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 mintes but up to 4 hours.
Heat your olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook the patties on each side until browned. This will take about 3-5 minutes on each side.
Transfer the patties back onto a plate but without the grease/fat from the pan.
In the same skillet, melt your butter and cook the onion intil translucent.
Add in the garlic, mushrooms, and thyme. Cook until the mushrooms are softened.
Add in the tomato paste and stir.
Pour in the beef broth and the wine and bring the mixture to a simmer.
Return the patties to the pan and coat them well with the sauce.
Bring the pan back to a simmer and turn the patties over to the other side.
Cook for one additional minute and remove from the stove.
Serve immediately with mashed potatoes & vegetables. Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground beef 453.3 g
- ½ cup bread crumbs 4.19 oz | 119 g
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove peeled and minced
- 8.81 oz mushrooms 250 g, thinly sliced
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups beef broth 12 fl. oz | 375 ml
- ¼ cup red wine 2 fl. oz | 60 ml
- Prepare a plate with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add beef, breadcrumbs, egg, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix with a fork but don’t overmix. With wet hands, divide the meat mixture equally in 4 balls, Shape each into ½ inch oval patties and place on the plate. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes up to 4 hours.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Cook patties on each side until browned. It will take about 3-5 minutes on each side. Transfer back on a clean plate without the fat.
- In the same skillet, melt butter. Cook onion until translucent. Add garlic, mushrooms and thyme. Cook until mushrooms are softened.
- Add tomato paste and stir. Pour broth and wine over mushrooms. Bring to a simmer.
- Return patties in the skillet, coat them with the sauce. Bring to a simmer then turn patties on the other side. Cook for 1 more minute. Remove from the stove
- Serve immediately with your favorite side dish.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
What to serve with Salisbury steak
This recipe would be great served with salad, mashed potatoes (or mashed cauliflower for a low-carb option). It also tastes incredible with pasta, garlic bread, and green veggies such as green beans, asparagus, or broccoli.
How to store leftovers
After the meat and gravy mixture has cooled completely you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also meal prep this dish by freezing the uncooked patties for up to one month. To reheat your leftovers, simply place the patties in a skillet on low-medium heat until warm through. Coat with stock from time to time to get the juiciness back.
Here are some more geat comfort meals to serve up soon
- THREE CHEESE SOUP
- EASY SMOKED MEATLOAF
- HASH BROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- EASY CHICKEN POT PIE
- BEST MASHED POTATOES RECIPE
- MEATLOAF CUPCAKES
- CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE
- DUTCH OVEN CUBE STEAK AND GRAVY
- CHEESY BAKED RAVIOLI LASAGNA
- BUFFALO CHICKEN TATERTOT CASSEROLE
- CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- SLOW COOKER DR PEPPER ROAST
- TURKEY POT PIE RECIPE
You’re going to love this easy Salisbury steak and onion gravy recipe. It’s a fabulous comfort meal and perfect for any weather or occasion.
This from scratch old-fashioned Salisbury steak recipe is made with classic ingredients like ground beef, onions, beef broth and herbs. A comforting salisbury steak dinner that everyone craves, especially when it’s cold outside.