Meatloaf cupcakes recipe made with a fantastic blend of ground beef, sausage & savory seasonings, made into mini meatloaves, topped with mashed potatoes!
Game day food, a manly birthday party, or just fun finger food these “cupcakes” check all the boxes for a good time. This meatloaf recipe is a delicious stand-alone due to the ground beef & sausage combined with shredded cheese. Topped with creamy, buttery mashed potatoes, it’s a fantastic meal!
What are meatloaf cupcakes?
Cupcake meatloaf is a fun and easy dish that goes well with any occasion and no occasion at all. Made in a muffin tin with meatloaf filling and given a potato “frosting” over the top, every bite is savory and perfect for your meal.
Meatloaf cupcake ingredients
For the meatloaf, you will need:
-Ground beef: You will need 1 pound of ground beef. Using an 80/20 blend or a 90/10 will both work fine.
-Sausage: Use ½ pounds of sausage. Italian or spicy will both work.
-Cheese: You will need ½ cup of shredded cheese. Any cheese variety will work great.
-Egg: To help bind the meatloaf ingredients together use one egg.
-Garlic: Adding in ½ teaspoon of minced garlic will make the meatloaf taste great. You can use pre-minced to cut down on prep.
-Onion: Add in ¼ cup of diced onion (yellow or white) to make our meatloaf savory.
-Carrot: Adding in one grated medium-sized carrot will help to add a little more nutrition to every bite.
-Bread crumbs: To help give our meatloaf great texture add in 1/4 cup of panko bread crumbs. You can use the plain ones or the seasoned variety.
-Ketchup: Flavor your meatloaf and add moisture by adding ¼ cup of ketchup.
-Fried onions: Another great item to add to your meatloaf for flavor is ¼ cup of french fried onions.
For the mashed potato topping, you will need:
-Potatoes: You will need 2-3 medium-sized potatoes. You can use russet or Yukon gold.
-Butter: Adding in 2 tablespoons of salted butter will give us a better flavor.
-Salt: ½ teaspoon of salt will help to enhance the flavors in your mashed potatoes.
-Milk: To make the potatoes nice and creamy use ½ cup of milk.
-Sour cream: Add in ¼ cup of sour cream to flavor the potatoes and make them nice and creamy.
Optional garnishes include fresh chopped parsley, ketchup, and diced onion.
How to make meatloaf cupcakes
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray the bottoms and sides of your muffin cups well with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the meatloaf ingredients and mix well.
With a large spoon, scoop and fill each muffin cup until it’s ¾ of the way full.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Place your peeled potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover them. Bring the water it a boil over high heat and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender.
Drain the water from the potatoes and then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Add the remaining potato mixture ingredients and use a hand mixer to blend them together until smooth and fluffy.
Remove each cupcake from the muffin tin by gently running a fork along the sides of the meat to loosen it from the pan. Place them on a plate.
Put a small amount of ketchup or BBQ sauce over the top of the meatloaves.
Using a piping bag or a sandwich bag with the end snipped off, pipe some potato frosting over the top of each meatloaf.
Sprinkle with french fried onions, parsley, paprika, or shredded cheese.
Serve hot & enjoy!
Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound sausage
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 1 carrot medium – grated
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup french fried onions
- 2-3 medium potatoes peeled
- 2 TBSP Butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Parsley fresh chopped
- Onion diced
- Preheat the oven to 350° and use nonstick spray inside the bottoms and sides of each cup in your muffin tin.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the meatloaf and mix well.
- With a large spoon fill each cup of your muffin tin ¾ full of the meatloaf mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Place your peeled potatoes in a large pot covered with water and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Drain the water off the cooked potatoes.
- In a large mixing bowl use a hand mixer and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients together until fluffy.
Assemble Meatloaf Cupcakes:
- Remove each meatloaf cupcake from the muffin tin gently by running a fork around the edges of each meatloaf cupcake to loosen. Then place the “cupcakes” on a plate.
- Put a small amount of ketchup or BBQ sauce on top of each meatloaf cupcake.
- Using a piping bag with a large star tip or you can use a ziplock bag and snip a small corner off. Pipe Potato “icing” on top of each ketchup covered cupcake.
- Sprinkle with french fried onions, parley, paprika, or shredded cheese. Serve hot.
Can I make meatloaf cupcakes in advance?
Yes, these cupcakes can be assembled beforehand and placed in a baking dish to be reheated later. This means to fully cook them once and reheat them later.
What goes well with meatloaf cupcakes?
These little meaty cupcakes already have starch and protein so serving them up with some vegetables won’t steer you wrong. Serve them up with steamed or roasted veggies like brussel sprouts, carrots, or green beans and you’ll have a full dinner with little effort.
More beefy recipes to enjoy for dinner
- EASY SMOKED MEATLOAF
- EASY BEEF & BROCCOLI
- EASY CHILI RECIPE
- EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNON
- MINI MEATLOAF RECIPE with CHEDDAR CHEESE
- ZUCCHINI SAUSAGE SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE BEEF STROGANOFF
- CROCKPOT SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS
- DUTCH OVEN CUBE STEAK AND GRAVY
- TACO STUFFED PASTA SHELLS
- BEST SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW
- MONGOLIAN BEEF & VEGETABLES
You’re going to love these meatloaf cupcakes. They’re a perfect dinner option when you want something out of the usual but still comforting. Try them soon and see why we can’t stop raving about them!
Meatloaf cupcake recipe made with a fantastic blend of ground beef, sausage & savory seasonings, made into mini meatloaves, topped with mashed potatoes!