Maple sweet potato pie made with a homemade flaky crust, pecans, sweet potatoes & brown sugar cinnamon streusel topping! Fantastic flavor in this classic sweet potato pie recipe that everyone loves!
Homemade sweet potato pies are a big thing around the holidays depending on where you are. I know they’re often seen on Thanksgiving tables, but they can truly fit any occasion because there’s never a wrong time to serve pie.
A simple sweet potato pie
While there’s a lot of wonderful and complex flavors in this pie the recipe and the ingredients list are fairly simple. We make an old-fashioned apple cider crust to keep our pie crust flaky and flavorful. The filling is a combination of cinnamon, maple syrup, pecans, and a basic sweet potato pie filling which all work so well together you’ll wonder why you hadn’t tried this combination before.
Maple Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
-Flour: You will need 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour for the base of the pie crust.
-Butter: 1 cup of chilled and butter that has been cut into cubes will help it to be golden, flakey, and flavorful.
-Water: You will need about 7 tablespoons of ice-cold water to help bring the dough together.
-Vinegar: You will need 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar to help make the crust a great texture.
-Sugar: You will need 1 cup of granulated sugar, divided throughout the recipe card.
-Pecans: 1 cup of chopped pecans will give a great flavor and crunchy texture.
-Cinnamon: You will need 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to help make the pie filling nicely spiced.
-Eggs: 4 eggs will help to make a good texture, richer flavor, and hold the pie together well.
-Sweet potatoes: You will need 1 cup of mashed sweet potatoes for the filling.
-Buttermilk: Using ¾ cups of buttermilk will get the filling to a good consistency ad add in a nice flavor.
-Butter: Using 1/4 cup of melted butter (half a stick) will make the filling nice and rich.
-Maple syrup: You will need 1/4 cup of maple syrup to help flavor the pie.
-Flour: You will need ½ cup of all-purpose flour for the topping.
-Brown sugar: Adding in ¼ cup of packed brown sugar will make the topping sweet and flavorful.
-Cinnamon: Add in ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon so that the topping is nicely spiced.
-Pecans: Adding ½ cup of chopped pecans into the topping makes it crunchy and pretty.
-Butter: Bring the ingredients together with ½ cup (one stick) of softened butter.
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
In a food processor or in a bowl with a fork, mash together the flour, salt, and butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Pour in the ice-cold water and vinegar mixture into the flour mixture.
Pour in the remaining water and vinegar knead until the dough comes together.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat it into a round disc.
Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Roll the dough out into a flat circle and then place it into the pie plate.
Sprinkle 1 cup of pecans onto the bottom of the pie crust.
Combine the eggs, sweet potatoes, buttermilk, butter, maple syrup, and sugar in a large bowl.
Pour the filling over the top of the pecan layer.
Mix the topping ingredients together with a fork in a small bowl until they form crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the sweet potato filling.
Bake in the oven for 60-70 minutes or until a knife can be inserted in the center and come out clean.
Cool the pie on a wire rack.
Serve topped with whipped cream. Enjoy!
Maple Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter cubed and chilled
- 7 TBSP ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
Make Pie Crust
- Combine flour, salt, and butter in a food processor or mash with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour half the ice water and vinegar mixture into the flour and butter mixture. Mix together.
- Pour in remaining ice water and vinegar mixture and knead until it just comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, pat into round shape.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pie crust and place into a pie pan.
Add Sweet Potato Filling
- Sprinkle 1 cup pecans into the bottom of the pie crust.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sweet potatoes, buttermilk, butter, maple syrup, and sugar. Pour over pecan layer.
- In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients with fork until coarse crumbs form; sprinkle over the top of the pie.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If the pie is browning too quickly, you can lightly place a piece of foil on top, covering the pie.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve topped with whipped cream. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Should you refrigerate sweet potato pie?
Yes, this pie should be kept in the fridge when not being eaten the same day. This will help to keep it safe for up to 4 days. Simply keep it covered with plastic wrap in the fridge
This pie should be stored in the fridge if not being consumed the same day it was made to keep it safe from food-borne illness. To keep it safely stored in the fridge just cover it well with plastic wrap. It will last 4 about days if stored this way. If you plan to eat it the same day, just keep it loosely covered with foil on the counter.
Do you eat sweet potato pie hot or cold?
You can enjoy your pie either way depending on what you prefer. Many choose to enjoy it warm with cold whipped cream on top but there’s nothing wrong with eating it cold either.
Here are some more great sweet potato recipes to try
- BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES
- MASHED SWEET POTATOES w/ MAPLE CINNAMON BUTTER
- HOW TO BAKE SWEET POTATOES
- SWEET POTATO BISCUITS
- LOADED MEXICAN CHICKEN SWEET POTATO FRIES
- SLOW COOKER SWEET POTATOES & CRANBERRIES
You’re going to love this incredible maple pecan sweet potato pie recipe. Every bite is packed with flavors and textures you won’t soon forget. serve it up for the holidays or make it on a weekend, there’s no wrong time to serve this gorgeous pie.