Buttery Lime Pound Cake recipe made with classic ingredients for a sweet & tangy lime dessert. Delicious pound cake with a bright, fresh lime flavor that everyone enjoys!
This lime pound cake recipe is simple, versatile, and delicious. It’s such a perfect summer dessert recipe but it can work great for winter and spring too! Enjoy this lime bundt cake recipe whenever the mood strikes, or when key limes are in season for an even better flavor upgrade.
What is lime pound cake?
Pound cake is a denser variation of cake. Sweet, flavorful and moist while satisfying all of your cake craving needs. We love cake around here and this lime cake is fantastic for switching things up a little.
-Butter: We need 1 ¼ cups of butter for this recipe which is the equivalent of 2 ½ sticks.
-Sugar: 2 ½ cups of granulated white sugar is enough to add the needed sweetness to this cake.
-Eggs: With 5 whole eggs, we can create the needed binder for this lime cake.
-Flour: We need to use 3 ½ cups of flour to create a gluten filled base for our batter.
-Baking Powder: 3 tsp gives a good lift to yield a less dense pound cake.
-Milk: We need this liquid to keep our cake moist and to thin down a thicker batter. 1 ¼ cups of milk is perfect. Feel free to use non dairy milk.
-Lime Juice: ¼ cup of lime juice from the bottle or freshly squeezed will add our much desired citric flavor.
-Vanilla: Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla into the cake batter. For a better flavor I recommend using the higher quality versions.
-Lime Zest: 1 tablespoon of freshly zested lime will add little green specks in the cake and add a ton of flavor. This about what you get from 2 large limes.
-Powdered Sugar: 1 cup of powdered sugar will give us a sweet and creamy glaze.
-Lime Juice: With 3 teaspoons of lime juice we can create a flavorful tangy glaze.
-Lime Zest: Just a teaspoon of lime zest is plenty for helping to add a nice appearance and flavor to the glaze.
Preheat your oven to 325F degrees and prepare your bundt pan by greasing the inside with a teaspoon of butter and then dusting the inside with about 1 tablespoon of flour. Gently turn the mold around a few times to make sure it’s well coated, this will prevent the cake from sticking. Set pan aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add in the sugar and beat for an additional 5 minutes until it’s nice and creamy.
Reduce the mixer speed to half and then add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each.
Add the flour a little at a time, alternating with the milk until both are fully integrated.
Add in the vanilla extract, baking powder, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix until fully incorporated. (Less than 2 minutes).
Pour the mixture into the mold and then bake for 55-60 minutes.
The cake will appear golden colored when finished and a toothpick should be inserted and come out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, remove the cake from the pan and prepare the glaze.
In a mixing bowl, add your powdered sugar.
Add in the lime juice, a little at a time, stirring until it gets to a nice pourable consistency.
Glaze and decorate the cake as desired and sprinkle the lime zest over the top.
Store cake in a cool and dry place until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Lime Pound Cake
For the Cake
- 1 1/4 cups butter (315g)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar (500g)
- 5 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (420g)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups milk (310ml)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (60ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP lime zest, grated
- 1 cup powdered sugar (150g)
- 3 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease pan and dust with 1 TBSP flour, turning pan to coat all sides and edges. Set aside.
- In the bowl of the mixer, add the butter and beat until light yellow, about five minutes. Add the sugar and beat on high speed for 5 more minutes until you get a creamy mixture.
- Reduce the mixer speed to half, and add the eggs, one by one. Before adding each egg, the previous one must be fully integrated into the mixture.
- Add the flour little by little, alternately with the milk. That is, add a little milk, then another little flour, and so on until the flour is fully integrated.
- Then add vanilla, the baking powder, with the lime juice, and the lime zest. Mix until fully incorporated. Be careful not to beat for more than two minutes after adding the baking powder.
- Pour the mixture into the pan that was previously prepared.
- Bake for approximately 55 to 60 minutes. When the surface of the cake looks golden, open the oven and test if the cake is ready by inserting a toothpick into the cake. If it comes out dry, remove the pan from the oven, turn it off and let it cool at room temperature.
- After about 2 hours, overturn the cake onto a plate.
- Whisk the ingredients for the glaze together in a small mixing bowl. Drizzle over cooled cake & top with additional lime zest.
How can I make sure my cake turns out nice and fluffy?
Using the proper amount of baking powder in this recipe. This will help to give all of the leavenings that the cake needs. Not only that, but keeping the cake from being over mixed after the addition of the baking powder and then promptly putting it in the oven after it’s been mixed, without delay, will help you to get a nice and fluffy cake.
What goes with lime cake?
Serving this delicious lime cake with some fresh fruit or vanilla custard or whipped topping could be a great way to feel like you’re eating a high class fancy dessert! Of course, eating the cake as is and without anything extra is acceptable too!
This cake if properly stored could last up to 5 days at room temperature. If you’d like to store it even longer, I recommend slicing into serving sized pieces, and then storing those in airtight containers. When you’re ready to serve, let cake sit on the countertop to allow it to thaw and come to room temperature.
Check out these other delicious cake recipes:
- Blueberry Pound Cake
- Easy Pineapple Cake
- Banana Pound Cake
- Easy Lemon Cake
- Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake
- Raspberry Jello Poke Cake
- Lemon Pound Cake Muffins
- Oatmeal Cake
- Buttery Blueberry Cake
- Caramel Apple Poke Cake
- Reeses Chocolate Dump Cake
- Apple Dump Cake
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- Peaches and Cream Poke Cake
- Frosted Applesauce Cake
Lime pound cake is a delicious and fluffy cake packed with flavor. With a homemade lime glaze on top, it makes for the perfect addition to any tea party or afternoon snack.