Dr. Pepper Cupcakes are deliciously rich & chocolatey, topped with a homemade Dr.Pepper buttercream frosting! These soda cupcakes are moist & perfect for Dr. Pepper lovers!
This recipe for cake mix cupcakes is a sensational dessert, the Dr. Pepper soda pairs perfectly with the delicate sweet cake texture. This Dr. Pepper cupcake with cake mix is a unique treat, the soda flavor enhances the taste of the chocolate without overpowering it.
Cupcakes with cake mix and soda
These Dr Pepper flavored cupcakes are easy to make because we start with a boxed cake mix as the base. From that, we build up and create a wonderful dessert packed with tons of great flavor. Every cupcake is fluffy, moist, and so flavorful you can’t help but crave another bite. This sweet treat is great for many occasions, birthday parties, backyard BBQ’s, holiday events, or even just a low key weekend at home. Give them a try today and see just how yummy they are!
Why you should make this recipe!
You are going to love this cupcake recipe, here are a few great reasons that we think you will enjoy it:
- Minimal ingredients. From start to finish, you will need less than 10 ingredients. This includes the cupcakes and the homemade frosting on top!
- It doesn’t taste like a boxed mix. While we do use a boxed cake mix, we add in our own ingredients (and not the ones specifically listed on the back of the box), so this means we create a new flavorful experience that doesn’t taste manufactured.
- You can make these cupcakes in advance! You can prepare the cupcakes and the frosting ahead of time. I recommend waiting until closer to serving before assembling, but this is still great for party prep!
- Umm, hello, DR. PEPPER! AmIright?!
Dr. Pepper Cupcakes Ingredients
For the cupcakes, you will need:
Cake Mix: You will need 1 (15.25-ounce) size box of Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist French Vanilla cake mix.
Cocoa powder: Use 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to make the cupcakes rich in chocolate flavors.
Oil: You will need ⅓ cup of canola oil to help give the cupcakes the fats needed to be fluffy and moist.
Eggs: Adding 3 large eggs will help to get the right cake texture and help to bind it together well.
Soda: You will need 1 ½ cups of Dr. Pepper soda to help moisten the cake batter, giving us that wonderful taste we crave. This is a 12 ounce bottle, you can buy one in cold section of any grocery store or market. Grab 2 bottles as you need more for the frosting too.
Vanilla extract: Enhance the flavors in these cupcakes by adding 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. This will help them to taste more homemade.
For the buttercream, you will need:
Butter: You will need ½ cup of room temperature butter to make the frosting rich and creamy. We used salted butter, but you can use unsalted butter and just add in a pinch of salt.
Powdered sugar: Use 4 cups of powdered sugar to make the frosting smooth and sweet.
Vanilla extract: Add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to help flavor the frosting well.
Soda: Use 4 tablespoons of Dr Pepper soda to help flavor the frosting and get it to the right spreadable consistency.
How to make Dr Pepper cupcakes
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Then, line a cupcake pan with paper liners and then set it aside. You can also use silicon cups too, those are becoming increasingly popular with bakers.
In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix and cocoa powder until combined.
Then, add in the oil and eggs, adding the eggs one at a time and mixing well between each addition.
Next, add the Dr. Pepper soda and the vanilla extract, stir well to combine.
Proceed to fill your muffin cups about ⅔ of the way full.
Place the muffin pan in the preheated oven and bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Be sure to allow the cupcakes to cool completely, on a wire rack, while you prepare the buttercream frosting.
Dr. Pepper Buttercream Frosting
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the softened butter and powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Next, add in the vanilla extract and the Dr. Pepper and mix again until fully distributed.
Proceed to scoop the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star tip nozzle. If you have kids helping you to pipe the frosting, just place 1/2 cup of frosting into a bag and tie it closed with an elastic band. Help them to place their hands on the bag by placing the dominant hand closer to the piping tip and the other in the back near the elastic band.
Pipe the frosting over the top of the cupcakes. For added flare, garnish the tops of the cupcakes with a 4-inch red striped paper straw.
Serve and enjoy!
What to pair with Dr. Pepper Cupcakes
These cupcakes would be perfect for pairing along with some cherries as a garnish on top (similar to our Cherry Cola Cupcakes) but they are even better when served with a tall cold glass of our favorite Dirty Cherry Dr Pepper Float. The cold drink is especially great on a hot summer’s day. But why stop there? Serve up a nice Slow Cooker Dr Pepper Roast before your bite-sized desserts and you are in for a full course meal that is sure to delight!
Dr. Pepper Cupcakes
- 1 box Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist French Vanilla 15.25 oz cake mix
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups Dr.Pepper soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons Dr. Pepper soda
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with wrappers.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix and cocoa powder until combined.
- Then, add in the oil and eggs, adding the eggs one at a time and mixing wellbetween each addition.
- Next, add the Dr. Pepper soda and the vanilla extract, stir well to combine.
- Pour the batter into the muffin pans to about 2/3 full
- Place the muffin pan in the preheated oven and bake for 16-18 minutes oruntil a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Be sure to allow the cupcakes to cool completely, on a wire rack, while youprepare the buttercream frosting.
Dr. Pepper Buttercream Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the softened butter and powdered sugarand mix until combined.
- Next, add in the vanilla extract and the Dr. Pepper and mix again untilfully distributed.
- Scoop the buttercream into a piping bag with a star tip nozzle. Pipe on all the cupcakes, once they are all cooled.
- Garnish with red sprinkles and a red striped paper straw that's been cut into 4" pieces. Serve and enjoy.
Can I make these ahead of time?
You can make and bake the cupcakes in advance and keep them stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months in advance. You can freeze them before or after they have been frosted. Just let them thaw a bit before serving.
Why didn’t my cupcakes rise?
We have noticed that when making cupcakes, whether it be from scratch or from a boxed mix, that overmixing will result in a less fluffy cupcake. When you overmix the batter, you are releasing the air from the mixture, which results in denser cupcakes.
Can I use a different soda for these cupcakes?
Yes, you can use any soda that you prefer. This includes root beer, sprite, coke, or diet dr pepper cupcakes would be good too!
How does soda cake work?
The carbonation from the soda helps to activate the leavening agents in the cake mix (the baking powder and baking soda) which results in a chemical reaction that produces a tall, fluffy, and tender cake we can’t wait to sink our teeth into.
You’re going to love these other great cupcake recipes too!
- ROOT BEER FLOAT CUPCAKES
- HOT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- MINI LEMON DROP CUPCAKES
- MINT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- OREO OWL CUPCAKES
- PINK VELVET CUPCAKES
- BERRIES & CREAM CUPCAKES
- BUTTERFLY CUPCAKES
- PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOM CUPCAKES
- SUGAR COOKIE CUPCAKES
- BEST PUMPKIN SPICE CUPCAKES
- ZUCCHINI CUPCAKES WITH CARAMEL FROSTING
Rich and chocolate flavored Dr Pepper Cupcakes are making a huge impression on everyone they meet. From the homemade Dr Pepper infused buttercream frosting to the doctored cake mix cupcakes underneath, every bite of these sweet treats will have you swooning.