Easy cherry coke cupcakes made with boxed cake mix, maraschino cherries, and Cherry cola for a moist & flavorful chocolate cupcake!
Serve these cherry cola cupcakes with your friends and families during potlucks, BBQs, and or any get-together throughout the year. Pretty cupcakes that are simple to make with a fun twist on classic cherry flavor, due to the addition of Cherry Coke!
What are cherry coke cupcakes?
These cupcakes are made with a twist. Having these cupcakes made with soda means less work for us but way more flavor in the end result which is perfect! Using red velvet cake mix as a base we can get a nice chocolate flavor in our cake but get to keep that brilliant red coloring so that every cupcake looks like a vintage throwback to the ’50s. Using just a couple of ingredients we can get 24 amazing cupcakes with very little effort.
Ingredients for Cherry Coke Cupcakes
-Cake mix: We need one standard sized (15.25 oz) box of red velvet cake mix, any brand will do.
-Cherry cola: For this recipe to work you will need one 12 ounce sized can of cherry cola
-Eggs: You will need 3 large eggs to help bind the cake together perfectly. Eggs will also help with the texture and leavening, and give us that signature “cake” texture we want.
-Cherry preserves: You will mix ¾ cups of cherry preserves into some soda to make a flavorful filling inside every cupcake, giving you a wonderful surprise to bite into!
For the frosting you will need:
-Vanilla frosting: Using a single 16 ounce tub or can of vanilla frosting (the shelf stable ones you find near boxed cake mixes) you will have an easy base for your frosting recipe.
-Cherry juice: Use 2 tablespoons of the cherry juice from inside of a can of maraschino cherries.
-Maraschino cherries with stems: You will need 24 of these (one for each cupcake) to be the garnish on top of your little masterpieces.
How to make cherry soda cupcakes
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line two muffin trays with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 ⅓ cup of cherry cola, and eggs with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes. Divide evenly between all of the muffin cups filling each one about ¾ cups of the way full.
Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. Set aside and cool completely.
Stir in the remaining ¼ cup of cherry cola with the cherry preserves. Add to a small saucepan until thickened and slightly reduced. This should take about 5-10 minutes. Move the bowl to the fridge and chill until fully cooled (about 45-60 minutes).
Scoop out a ½ inch to ¾ inch deep crater into each cupcake and fill each hole with some of the chilled soda preserves you made.
In a bowl, beat together the frosting and cherry juice until smooth and fluffy with an electric mixer on medium-high speed. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
Pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake and then gently smooth it down with a butterknife.
Top each cupcake with a maraschino cherry and serve. Enjoy!
Can I use Different Soda?
In keeping with the cherry theme, you can use different soda if you prefer. Cherry 7-Up, Cherry Dr.Pepper or even just basic Black Cherry soda work perfectly as well!
Can I use Diet Soda?
Yes, you can use diet soda, or any type of low cal, low sugar (or sugar free) soda. You can also use sparkling water! My kids and I both love the ICR drinks, and they have a fabulous Black Cherry or Cherry Limeade flavor that would be amazing in these cupcakes.
Cherry Cola Cupcakes
- 15.25 oz Red velvet cake mix
- 12 oz cherry cola
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup cherry preserves
- 16 oz vanilla frosting
- 2 TBSP cherry juice from maraschino jar
- 24 maraschino cherries with stems
- Heat oven to 350F. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Using a mixer, combine the cake mix, 1 1/3c of the cherry cola and the eggs in a large bowl on medium high until combined, about 2 minutes. Divide evenly among the muffin cups (about ¾ full each).
- Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (15-20 minutes). Set aside to cool completely.
- Stir remaining ¼ cup of cherry cola together with the cherry preserves. Add to a small saucepan and heat, simmering until thickened and slightly reduced, 5-10 minutes. Move to a bowl and refrigerate until fully cooled, 45-60 minutes.
- Scoop out a ½” wide and ¾” deep crater in each cupcake. Fill each hole with the soda/preserves mixture.
- Beat the frosting and cherry juice together on medium-high until smooth and fluffy, 4-5 minutes. Pipe atop the cupcakes and gently smooth with a butter knife.
- Top each cupcake with a maraschino cherry and serve.
How long are these cupcakes good for?
If held in an airtight container at room temperature these cupcakes should be good for about 3-4 days. They can also last a few days longer if kept stored in the fridge. That said, these cupcakes taste pretty good so it’s hard to imagine them hanging around more than a day or two.
Can I freeze cherry coke cupcakes?
Yes, these cupcakes are freezer friendly. Simply place them neatly in an airtight container and freeze for up to 6 months. When ready to eat, take one (or more) out and place it on the counter to thaw and come to room temperature before enjoying.
Are cherry cola cupcakes dairy free?
Believe it or not, these cupcakes can easily be made dairy free by simply choosing dairy free cake mix and frosting. Duncan Heins has several dairy free cake mixes available and there are a wide number of store bought frostings from Pillsbury that do not contain any dairy (including some of the cream cheese flavored ones!)
More recipes like these cherry chocolate cupcakes
- EASY CHERRY CHOCOLATE FUDGE
- CHERRY CHOCOLATE SCONES
- CHERRY CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE PIE
- CHERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- OATMEAL CHERRY CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY QUICK BREAD
- EASY CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY BROWNIE BITES
- EASY CHOCOLATE CHERRY TRUFFLES
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY COBBLER
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHERRY COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY ICE CREAM
You’re going to love these cherry coke cupcakes! Made with just a few simple ingredients you get a moist red cupcake filled with cherry flavors and topped with an incredible pink frosting on top. Every bite looks and tastes incredible in this easy cake mix and soda recipe.