Berries and Cream Cupcakes are velvety vanilla cupcakes topped with sweet almond whipped cream & fresh berries! Homemade mixed berry cupcakes everyone enjoys!
These berry cupcakes have a rich buttery taste that is similar to angel food cake, they are so light and absolutely irresistible. The sweetened cream and fresh berries on top add moisture and flavor to every bite and make these vanilla almond cupcakes look incredible as well.
Almond Vanilla Cupcakes
These vanilla cupcakes are made from scratch and super easy to make too. They do require a little effort, but it is totally worth it for the light and airy texture you will get in every bite. This sensational cupcake recipe reminds me of strawberry shortcake, only a bit fancier!
I like making these cupcakes throughout the year with different seasonal fruits, they always turn out great and taste amazing. My kids also love helping make this yummy treat, from the batter stirring to the frosting and berries, they have fun creating these appetizing cupcakes too!
Why you should try this recipe today!
Check out these three great reasons why we think you are going to love this fluffy and delicious dessert:
- Simple ingredients. Most of the ingredients needed for this recipe are basic pantry staple ingredients like flour, cornstarch, sugar, etc. You most likely already have all of them or most of them on hand.
- They are perfect for summer. Nothing says summer like fresh ripe berries, and this cupcake is covered in them. With the sweetened cream on top, these cupcakes are bursting with freshness in every bite while staying light enough to enjoy on any hot summer’s day.
- The steps aren’t difficult. While there is some prep work and time involved in making these cupcakes, the steps are not that difficult. If you have an electric mixer, they may even be faster and easier than you could imagine.
Berry and Cream Cupcakes Ingredients
Butter: You will need 1 cup of softened butter (2 sticks) to give the cupcakes a buttery rich taste.
Sugar: Use 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar to make the cupcakes nice and sweet.
Flour: You will want to use 2 ⅔ cups of all-purpose flour for the base of these cupcakes.
Cornstarch: Adding in ⅓ cup of cornstarch will give these cupcakes a much lighter texture and consistency.
Salt: Use ½ teaspoon of salt to naturally enhance the flavors in every bite.
Baking powder: To help the cupcakes leaven and rise, you will need 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
Milk: Use 1 cup of milk to moisten the batter to the right consistency.
Vanilla extract: Add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to make these cupcakes taste incredible.
Egg whites: Adding in 5 egg whites will help to make the cupcakes extra fluffy and light in texture, similar to an angel food cake.
For the sweetened cream, you will need:
Whipping cream: You will need 1 pint of heavy whipping cream, this is equal to 2 cups.
Sugar: To get the cream nicely sweetened, you will need ¼ cup of granulated sugar.
Almond extract: We add in 1 teaspoon of almond extract to help make this cream even more flavorful and delicious.
For the toppings, you will need:
Berries: You will want about 3 cups of fresh mixed berries (washed and dried).
Chocolate: Use melted semi-sweet chocolate for drizzling over the top of these cupcakes. You should need less than 1 cup’s worth.
How to make Berries and Cream Cupcakes
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
Line a standard size cupcake pan with paper lines or silicon cups, whatever you prefer.
In a small bowl, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form. Set the bowl aside.
Next, in a separate mixing bowl, cream the softened butter with an electric mixer until it is nearly white in color.
Then, add in the sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix to combine well.
After that, using another small bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, mixing together as you go.
Proceed to gently fold in the egg whites into the batter mixture until fully incorporated.
Now, fill your cupcake liners 2/3’s of the way full with cupcake batter.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes are beginning to turn a golden color.
Then, remove from the oven and let cool completely. While the cupcakes are cooling, start making the frosting.
Sweet Cream & Fruit topping
In a mixing bowl, using a handheld mixer, combine the whipping cream, sugar, and almond extract until thickened. Keep the cream in the fridge until it’s ready to use and the cupcakes are completely cooled.
Wash and dry your fresh berries, make sure all the stems are removed. If needed cut the berries into smaller pieces that will fit on top of the cupcakes easily.
If you are choosing to drizzle with melted chocolate, complete this step right before you are ready to assemble the cupcakes. You can use chocolate chips and melt them in the microwave, or you can you a store bought chocolate sauce too.
Using a knife or spatula, add the fresh cream to the tops of the cooled cupcakes and then add fresh berries to the top of the frosting.
Drizzle with melted chocolate just before serving.
Serve and enjoy!
When to Serve Berries and Cream Cupcakes
These cupcakes would be perfect for any summer get-together or party. Serve them up as a nice treat at a mother’s day brunch or a summer BBQ. Change out the fruits or berries to fit a specific theme (like strawberries and blueberries for a patriotic touch) or just use whatever berry is in season. There’s no wrong time for these dreamy cupcakes.
BERRIES AND CREAM CUPCAKES
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 egg whites
- 1 pint whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups fresh mixed berries
- semi-sweet chocolate melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a standard size cupcake pan with paper liners or silicon cups, whatever you prefer.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form. Set the bowl aside.
- Next, in a separate mixing bowl, cream the softened butter with an electric mixer until it is nearly white in color.
- Then, add in the sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix to combine well.
- After that, using another small bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, mixing together as you go.
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the batter mixture until fully incorporated.
- Now, fill your cupcake liners 2/3's of the way full with cupcake batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes are beginning to turn a golden color. Then, remove from the oven and let cool completely. While the cupcakes are cooling, start making the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, using a handheld mixer, combine the whipping cream, sugar, and almond extract until thickened. Keep the cream in the fridge until it's ready to use and the cupcakes are completely cooled.
- Wash and dry your fresh berries, make sure all the stems are removed. If needed, cut the berries into smaller pieces that will fit on top of the cupcakes easily.
- Using a knife or spatula, add the fresh cream to the tops of the cooled cupcakes and then add fresh berries to the top of the frosting. Drizzle with melted chocolate just before serving. Enjoy!
Adapted from Tastes of Lizzy.
Can I use 3 cups of cake flour instead of the all-purpose flour and cornstarch?
Yes! If desired, you can replace the all-purpose flour and cornstarch with cake flour. This will produce a lovely texture in all of your cupcakes. AP flour + cornstarch is basically a homemade version of cake flour anyways.
What are stiff peaks?
Stiff peaks is the term given to beaten egg whites when you have whipped them so much that they look like meringue. When you stop and lift your beaters out of the egg whites, there should be little mountain peaks standing straight up. If they hold up straight, then they are “stiff peaks”. If they curve slightly and look more like a Dr. Seuss cartoon mountain, they are “soft peaks.”
How to melt chocolate
Place a medium-sized saucepan over the stove and fill it with 1-2 inches of water at the bottom. Bring the water to a boil. Add a medium or large-sized glass bowl to the top. It should be able to nestle inside for stability, but the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. Add your chocolate to the bowl and stir until melted before removing it from heat.
Alternatively, you can use the microwave method. Add your chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals in the microwave, stirring between each until smooth.
Check out some of our other favorite cupcakes recipes here!
- CHERRY COLA CUPCAKES
- OREO OWL CUPCAKES
- ROOT BEER FLOAT CUPCAKES
- BUTTERFLY CUPCAKES
- MINI LEMON DROP CUPCAKES
- SUGAR COOKIE CUPCAKES
- PINK VELVET CUPCAKES
- ZUCCHINI CUPCAKES WITH CARAMEL FROSTING
- PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOM CUPCAKES
- RED, WHITE & BLUE SWIRL CUPCAKES
- HOT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- BANANA CUPCAKES with LEMON MARSHMALLOW BUTTERCREAM
This delicious cake is a combination of angel food cake and buttery pound cake. It’s got a rich taste and a velvety texture. It’s perfect topped with the sweetened cream and fresh berries. Don’t forget the chocolate drizzle on top!
I love berries and these look beautiful and tasty!
can you use 3 cups of cake flour in place of the all purpose flour and cornstarch?
You can! I can’t find cake flour at any stores in my area so I had to improvise!