Berries & Cream Cupcakes are a delightful treat that combines the sweet and tangy flavors of fresh berries with the creamy goodness of heavy whipped cream frosting. They are light and fluffy, with a burst of fresh berry flavor in every bite.
This homemade cupcake recipe is easy to make and only needs a few basic ingredient s such as flour, sugar, eggs, and butter. This dessert is a great way to enjoy the flavors of summer all year round, they would make especially great 4th of July cupcakes! Give them a try and see for yourself how delicious they can be?
Almond Vanilla Cupcakes
Looking for a fun and delicious family activity? Look no further than these homemade vanilla cupcakes topped with fresh berries and whipped cream! These cupcakes are perfect for a family activity because they are easy to make and everyone can help with the decorating. Kids will love adding the berries and whipped cream to the cupcakes and making them look beautiful. Plus, they are a delicious treat that everyone will enjoy. So gather your ingredients and get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- Perfect for any occasion: These cupcakes are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a birthday party, a baby shower, or just a weekend get-together with friends and family. No matter where you serve them, these cupcakes are sure to impress.
- Bursting with flavor: The combination of fresh berries and creamy frosting is simply irresistible.
- Customizable: Feel free to mix and match your favorite berries or frosting flavors to create your own unique twist on this classic recipe.
Berry and Cream Cupcakes Ingredients
Butter: You will need 1 cup of butter (2 sticks), softened, to give the cupcakes a rich buttery taste.
Sugar: Use 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar to make the cupcakes perfectly sweet.
Flour: For the base of this cupcake recipe, add in 2 ⅔ cups of all-purpose flour.
Cornstarch: Adding ⅓ cup of cornstarch will give these cupcakes a lovely light texture.
Salt: Using ½ teaspoon of salt will naturally enhance the flavors in every bite.
Baking powder: To help the cupcakes leaven and rise, you will need 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
Milk: Give the batter some moisture by adding 1 cup of milk.
Vanilla extract: You need 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to give these cupcakes a nice subtle flavor.
Egg whites: Adding 5 egg whites will make the cupcakes extra fluffy and light in texture, similar to an angel food cake.
Whipping cream: You need 1 pint of heavy whipping cream, this is equal to 2 cups, for this homemade whipped cream topping.
Sugar: To sweeten the cream perfectly, add in ¼ cup of granulated sugar.
Almond extract: Use 1 teaspoon of almond extract to make this cream even more flavorful and delicious.
Berries: You will need about 3 cups of fresh mixed berries, washed and dried, to cover each cupcake.
Chocolate: Use melted semi-sweet chocolate for drizzling over the top of these cupcakes. You need less than 1 cup for this step.
How to make Berries and Cream Cupcakes
Get started by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F.
Then line a standard size cupcake pan with paper lines or silicon cups, whichever you prefer, and then set it aside.
In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form. Set the egg mixture aside.
Next, in a separate mixing bowl, cream the softened butter with an electric mixer until it is nearly white in color.
Then add in the sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until well combined.
After that, using another small bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk.
Continue to slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet butter mixture, mixing together as you go.
Now, gently fold in the egg whites into the batter mixture until fully incorporated.
Once the batter is mixed, proceed to fill the cupcake sups 2/3’s of the way full with the batter.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes begin to turn a golden color.
Remove them from the oven and let the cupcakes cool completely before adding the toppings. While the cupcakes are cooling, start making the frosting.
Sweet Cream & Fruit topping
In a mixing bowl, using a handheld mixer, combine the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and almond extract until thickened and stiff peaks form. This step generally takes 5-7 minutes using an electric mixer. Keep the cream in the fridge until the cupcakes are completely cooled and you are ready to assemble.
Wash and dry the fresh berries, make sure all the stems and leaves are removed. If needed, cut the berries into smaller pieces that will fit on top of the cupcakes easily.
If you are choosing to drizzle with melted chocolate, complete this step right before you are ready to assemble the cupcakes. You can use chocolate chips and melt them in the microwave, or you can use store bought chocolate sauce too.
Using a knife, spatula, or piping bag, add the fresh whipped cream to the tops of the cooled cupcakes and add the fresh berries to the top of the frosting.
If desired, drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of each cupcake just before serving.
Serve and enjoy!
Flavor Variations & Pairings with Vanilla Berry Cupcakes
Berry Combinations: Berries are a versatile fruit that can be paired with a variety of other flavors to create unique and delicious cupcakes. Here are some popular berry combinations to try:
- Blueberry and Lemon: The tartness of lemon complements the sweetness of blueberries perfectly. Add lemon zest to blueberry cupcake batter or top with a lemon cream cheese frosting for a bright and fresh flavor.
- Raspberry and Vanilla: The delicate flavor of vanilla pairs well with the tartness of raspberries. Try adding raspberry puree to vanilla cupcake batter or top with a raspberry buttercream frosting for a subtle yet delicious twist.
Cream Flavor Enhancements: Cream is a key ingredient in the classic berries and cream combination. Here are some ways to enhance the flavor of cream in your cupcakes:
- Vanilla Cream: Adding a splash of vanilla extract to whipped cream or cream cheese frosting can add a subtle but delicious flavor to your cupcakes.
- Citrus Cream: Adding a small amount of citrus zest or juice to whipped cream or cream cheese frosting can add a bright and refreshing flavor to your cupcakes.
BERRIES AND CREAM CUPCAKES
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1 pint whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups fresh mixed berries
- semi-sweet chocolate melted
- Prep: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a standard size cupcake pan with paper liners or silicon cups, whichever you prefer.
- Batter: In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form. Set the egg mixture aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream the softened butter with an electric mixer until it is nearly white in color. Add in the sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix to combine well.
- After that, using another small bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet butter mixture, mixing together as you go.
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the batter mixture until fully incorporated.
- Bake: Fill the cupcake liners 2/3's of the way full with cupcake batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes are beginning to turn a golden color. Then, remove from the oven and let cool completely. While the cupcakes are cooling, start making the frosting.
- Sweet cream: In a mixing bowl, using a handheld mixer, combine the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and almond extract until thickened and stiff peaks form. This step generally takes 5-7 minutes using an electric mixer. Keep the cream in the fridge until the cupcakes are completely cooled and you are ready to assemble.
- Wash and dry your fresh berries, make sure all the stems are removed. If needed, cut the berries into smaller pieces that will fit on top of the cupcakes easily.
- Assemble: Using a knife, spatula, or piping bag, add the fresh whipped cream to the tops of the cooled cupcakes and add the fresh berries to the top of the frosting. If desired, drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of each cupcake just before serving. Serve and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
When to Serve Berries and Cream Cupcakes
These cupcakes would be perfect for any summer get-together or party. Serve them up as a nice treat at a mother’s day brunch or a summer BBQ. Change out the fruits or berries to fit a specific theme (like strawberries and blueberries for a patriotic touch) or just use whatever berry is in season. There’s no wrong time for these dreamy cupcakes.
Can I use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour and cornstarch?
Yes! If desired, you can replace the all-purpose flour and cornstarch with cake flour. This will produce a lovely texture in all of your cupcakes. AP flour + cornstarch is basically a homemade version of cake flour anyways.
What does the term “stiff peaks” mean in the baking world?
In baking, “stiff peaks” refers to the stage when egg whites or cream have been whipped to a point where they hold their shape when the whisk is lifted. This is a crucial step in making the whipped cream frosting for berries and cream cupcakes, as it ensures that the frosting will hold its shape and not deflate.
What other frosting pairs well with mixed berry cupcakes?
While whipped cream is the classic frosting for berries and cream cupcakes, there are other frosting options that pair well with mixed berry cupcakes. Cream cheese frosting, vanilla buttercream, or a simple glaze made with powdered sugar and lemon juice are all delicious options. However, keep in mind that the frosting should not overpower the delicate flavor of the berries.
How to melt chocolate
Place a medium-sized saucepan over the stove and fill it with 1-2 inches of water at the bottom. Bring the water to a boil. Add a medium or large-sized glass bowl to the top. It should be able to nestle inside for stability, but the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. Add your chocolate to the bowl and stir until melted before removing it from heat.
Alternatively, you can use the microwave method. Add your chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals in the microwave, stirring between each until smooth.
Check out some of our other favorite cupcakes recipes here!
- CHERRY COLA CUPCAKES
- OREO OWL CUPCAKES
- ROOT BEER FLOAT CUPCAKES
- BUTTERFLY CUPCAKES
- MINI LEMON DROP CUPCAKES
- SUGAR COOKIE CUPCAKES
- PINK VELVET CUPCAKES
- ZUCCHINI CUPCAKES WITH CARAMEL FROSTING
- PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOM CUPCAKES
- RED, WHITE & BLUE SWIRL CUPCAKES
- HOT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- BANANA CUPCAKES with LEMON MARSHMALLOW BUTTERCREAM
Berries & Cream Cupcakes are a combination of angel food cake and buttery pound cake, a treat you are sure to love! These cupcakes are topped with a heavy whipped cream frosting and fresh berries.