Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Meringues made with egg whites, sugar & peppermint extract for an enjoyable cookie that’s both low fat & low cal! Meringues are so easy to make & the chocolate peppermint addition is pure indulgence!
You’re going to love these chocolate peppermint meringue cookies. Made with just a few ingredients and steps these cookies look incredible but as so much simpler to make than you might expect. They’re packed with flavor in every soft melt-in-your-mouth bite and a perfect gift at the next cookie exchange too!
Chocolate-Dipped Meringue Cookies
Meringue cookies are cookies made by whipping up egg white to stiff peaks with sugar and baking in low heat for an extended amount of time to give you little cloud-like pillows that are sweet, chewy, and soft. Then we’re dipping them in melted chocolate for a nice blend of flavors in every bite only to be finished off with crushed candy canes for the ultimate holiday feel!
Chocolate Meringue Cookie Ingredients
-Egg white: You will need 4 large egg whites to make these cookies. You can save the yolks for other recipes like homemade lemon curd. Or you can feed them to your dog!
-Cream of tartar: This will help us to get a good consistency so use ½ teaspoon of cream of tartar.
-Salt: Adding in ⅛ teaspoon (about a pinch) of salt will help to enhance the flavors in these meringues.
-Peppermint extract: Use ¼ teaspoon of peppermint extract to help make these meringues minty in every bite.
-Sugar: You will need 1 cup of granulated sugar to make these cookies perfectly sweetened.
-Vanilla: Using ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract will help to make these meringues taste even better.
-Chocolate chips: To make our dipping chocolate use 12 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
-Peppermints: Use 12 crushed peppermint candies so that there’s enough for every cookie.
How to Make Chocolate Peppermint Meringues
Preheat your oven to 225 degrees F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
Make sure that your large mixing bowl is free of any grease and is nice and dry before using. This will help to avoid issues with the meringues setting up.
Make the meringue
Add your egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt to the large mixing bowl.
Use an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer to mix the whites on low speed until the mixture becomes foamy, then increase the speed to high.
While mixing, add in the sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time. You want the sugar to be dissolved before being adding more into the mix.
Continue to mix until the egg white mixture has become shiny and thick. There should also be stiff peaks forming, which means that when you turn off the eclectic mixer and lift it straight up and out of the egg white, the mix stuck on the beaters and in the bowl should look like little mountain peaks sticking straight up.
Stir in the vanilla and peppermint extracts.
Baking and cooling
Transfer the mixture to a piping bag or a Ziploc bag with the corner snipped off and pipe the meringues onto your baking sheet. You can fit several onto each sheet and they don’t spread much while baking.
Bake in the oven for one hour. Once the time is up, turn the oven off and let the baking sheet rest inside the oven for 1 more hour, or until completely cooled, before removing.
Once the meringues have cooled completely, you can remove them from the oven.
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt your chocolate chips in 30-second intervals, stirring well between each until completely smooth.
Very carefully dip the bottom of each meringue in the smooth chocolate.
Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies and set on parchment paper to harden and set.
Once the chocolate has set, you can eat. Enjoy!
Chocolate Peppermint Meringues
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips 2 cups
- 12 peppermint candies crushed
- Preheat your oven to 225°F. Prep your baking sheets by lining the parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl that is completely dry and free of any grease add your egg whites, cream of tartar and salt.
- Using an electric hand mixer or even your stand mixer mix on low just until the mixture becomes foamy. Increase the speed to high.
- While mixing add the sugar about 1 tablespoon at a time. You want the sugar to dissolve before adding the next tablespoon of sugar. I test this by rubbing a little bit between my fingers, if it is gritty the sugar hasn’t quite dissolved.
- Continue mixing until mixture is thick and shiny, and has stiff peaks. This means when you lift the beaters out of the mixture the peaks stay upright.
- Stir in your vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag or ziploc bag with the tip cut off.
- Pipe your meringues onto the prepared baking sheets. You can fit quite a few on the tray because they will not spread much and don’t need too much room between them.
- Bake for 1 hour. Once one hour has passed turn off the oven and leave them in the off oven for 1 hour or until completely cool.
- Once the oven and meringues are completely cool you can remove them.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt your semisweet chocolate in 30 second increments.
- Very carefully dip the bottom of each meringue in the chocolate and then immediately sprinkle the chocolate with the crushed peppermints. Set on parchment paper to harden. Once the chocolate has hardened, serve!
How to Store Meringue Cookies
Please be sure to keep these in an airtight container because they are quite delicate. They can last up to two weeks and still taste great but note that if you live in a humid area the cookies can become chewy after a few days. They’ll still taste great though!
Can I Store Peppermint Meringues In The Fridge?
Yes, you can keep these cookies stored in the fridge. This is s a great way to help prevent the humid weather from touching them and get them to stay soft longer. Do keep in mind that the cold will make the crushed peppermint candies become rather soft and chewy as the meringue cookies age.
Check out these other great peppermint recipes:
- PEPPERMINT OREO POKE CAKE
- HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT NOUGAT CANDY
- HOLIDAY PEPPERMINT ICE CREAM CAKE ROLL
- HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT PATTIES
- EASY PEPPERMINT CHEX MIX
- FROSTED PEPPERMINT COOKIES
- PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE CHIP PUDDING COOKIES
- CHRISTMAS PEPPERMINT PATTIES
- PINK PEPPERMINT PATTIES
- PEPPERMINT FUDGE COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT TRUFFLES
- CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT BREAD
Enjoy these chocolate dipped peppermint meringues all season long. These are the perfect cookie to put you in the fun winter spirit.
Leave a Reply