Chocolate Choux au Craquelin is a perfect dessert to serve up when you’re feeling fancy! A chocolate filled cream puff topped with crunchy chocolate cookies is a perfect treat for any chocolate lover!
Chocolate is a wonderful flavor and goes with just about anything but when paired with a delicate and buttery-tasting cream puff pastry you really can’t top that. The experience is sweet, savory, and a perfect blend of flavors in every bite. While this dish might sound fancy and include a lot of steps, you’ll be surprised to see how simple it actually is to make.
What is Choux Pastry?
It’s a European name given to such a delicate pastry dough. Made with just butter, water, flour, and eggs the pastry dough truly has a simple and humble start but when cooked to perfection it can be used as a base in many different recipes making it a unique pastry dough with practically endless possibilities.
Chocolate Choux au Craquelin Ingredients
For the Chocolate Craquelin (Chocolate Cookie Dough), You Will Need:
-Powdered sugar: You will need 3 ½ tablespoons of powdered sugar to make the cookie sweet.
-Cocoa powder: Use 2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder for a nice chocolate taste.
-Flour: The base of this cookie is 4 1/12 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
-Butter: Add in 4 tablespoons of room temperature unsalted butter for a richer taste.
For the Choux Pastry, You Will Need:
-Milk: For added moisture, you will need 5 tablespoons of milk.
-Butter: 3 ½ tablespoons of butter will make the dough nice and rich in taste.
-Flour: Use 8 tablespoons of all-purpose flour for the dough.
-Eggs: Use 2 medium-sized eggs for the dough, this will help with the binding and adding in a richer taste.
-Salt: You will need just a pinch of salt (roughly ⅛ teaspoons)
For the Chocolate Whipped Cream, You Will Need:
-Heavy cream: To make sure you have enough filling for all of the cream puffs, use 1 cup plus ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream.
-Chocolate: Use 3.5 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate for a great chocolate taste.
-Powdered sugar: Using 1/4 cup of powdered sugar adds just a touch of sweetness to the cream.
How to Make Chocolate Choux au Craquelin
Here’s how to make these chocolate cream puffs:
Make the Crisp Chocolate Cookie
Start by making the chocolate craquelin (cookie). Place all of the cookie ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and stir with a spatula until smooth and combined.
Place the dough onto a piece of parchment and then top with another piece of parchment paper. Roll out to be about 3mm thick.
Place the dough into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
Make the Cream Puff Dough (Choux)
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Heat the butter, milk, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, cook until the butter is melted and the mixture just comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low.
Add in all of the flour to the butter mixture at one time and beat together until it is well combined.
Place over low heat and cook, stirring for 2-4 minutes or until the mixture forms a ball and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl and then mix the dough while adding in the eggs in 3 separate additions. Mix well after each addition.
Beat the mixture until it just falls from the spatula but still holds its shape.
Pipe 6 profiteroles (cream puffs) onto the baking tray. Filled in circle shapes are fine.
Assemble the Cream Puffs for baking
Remove your craquelin from the fridge and then cut circles from the dough to be the same size as the cream puffs you have piped.
Place each piece carefully on top of the cream puff dough and press down lightly to adhere.
Bake the Cream Puffs
Bake for 25 minutes in the oven and then turn off the oven and allow to rest inside the oven “baking” for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Do NOT open the oven or else the cream puffs will not rise properly.
Once finished baking, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely to room temperature.
Make the Chocolate Whipped Cream
Add your chocolate and ¼ cup of heavy cream to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring well between each until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the remaining heavy cream on medium-low until soft peaks form.
Add the powdered sugar and melted chocolate. Whip until stiff peaks form.
Pipe Cream into Pastries
Transfer the whipped cream to a piping bag with a fitted nozzle.
Cut the top off of the choux buns and fill each bun with the chocolate whipped cream in several swirls.
Place the top of the choux bun on top. Enjoy!
Chocolate Choux Au Craquelin
Chocolate Craquelin (Chocolate Cookie Dough)
- 3 ½ tablespoons powdered sugar 25 g
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder 5 g
- 4 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour 35 g
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature (40 g)
Choux Pastry (Cream puffs)
- ⅓ cup milk 70 g
- ¼ cup butter 50 g
- ½ cup all-purpose flour 60 g
- 2 eggs
- pinch salt
Chocolate Whipped Cream filling
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3.5 oz semisweet chocolate melted
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
Make the chocolate cookie topper
- For the chocolate craquelin, place all ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir with a spatula until smooth and combined.
- Place the dough on parchment paper and top with another piece of parchment paper. Roll out to 3 mm in thickness. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Make the Cream Puff dough (Choux)
- Heat the butter, milk, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until butter melts and mixture just comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add all the flour to the butter mixture at once, beat until well combined. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2-4 minutes or until the mixture forms a ball and begins to come away from the side of the saucepan. Remove from heat and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl if using a handheld mixer. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl. Mix the dough while adding the eggs in 3 separate additions, mixing well after each addition. Beat until the mixture just falls from the spatula but still holds its shape.
- Pipe six profiteroles onto the baking tray.
- Remove the craquelin from the fridge. Cut circles that are the same size as the dough. Place each piece carefully on top of the choux pastry and press lightly.
Bake the Cream Puffs
- Bake for 25 minutes, then turn off the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Do not open the over, or they won’t puff. Transfer to a cooling rack, letting them cool to room temperature.
Make the Chocolate Cream Filling
- Place the chocolate and 1/4 cup of heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat the whipping cream on medium-low speed until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and melted chocolate. Whip until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a nozzle.
Assemble the Cream Puffs
- Cut the top of the choux buns. Fill the buns with chocolate whipped cream in several large swirls. Place the top of the choux back on the bun. Serve & enjoy!
How long are cream puffs good for?
Once filled these cream puffs can last about 3 days uncovered in the fridge. I recommend eating them soon after filling them for the best texture and flavorful results.
Can I freeze whipped cream filled cream puffs?
Yes, you can place cream puffs in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw for several hours in the fridge until soft enough to eat. The textures may not be the same as when it was fresh and crunchy, but it will still taste pretty great.
Check out these other great chocolate flavored recipes
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH BROWNIES
- HOT CHOCOLATE DIP
- EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE BITES
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BUNDT CAKE
- ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE POKE CAKE
- HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
- COPYCAT COSTCO CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
- MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CAKE
- HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CROISSANT
- EASY CHOCOLATE ZEBRA CAKE
- CHOCOLATE ARTISAN BREAD
- 90 SECOND CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE
- HOT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
You’re going to love these Chocolate Choux au Craquelin dessert puffs. Filled with chocolate whipped cream and topped with a crunchy chocolate cookie, every bite is a chocolate-lovers dream come true.