Avocado Chicken Salad is loaded with juicy chicken, crunchy apple chunks and smooth avocado! This chicken salad with avocado is an amazing variation on a classic chicken salad recipe.
The next potluck you are invited to, bring this delicious avocado stuffed chicken salad and watch how quickly it disappears. This chicken and avocado salad is made with a few basic ingredients and comes together quickly, try it today!
Avocado Chicken Salad
I am a huge fan of chicken salad, I love every variation I have tried! But I have no idea why it took me so long to add avocado, I will honestly never make chicken salad without it again. I love to eat it with just a fork but also putting it on top of my favorite cracker tastes fantastic too! This recipe is a lovely blend of sweet and savory, crunchy and soft. It goes together so well and is a real crowd pleaser. The recipe here tastes incredible, but know that it is so versatile too. If you want to use pineapple tidbits instead of grapes? Sounds perfect. Don’t like raisins? No worries, leave them out. Really, go with whatever you like, I always promote for more variety!
Why we think you will love this chicken salad recipe
In case you need more reasons to give this amazing and delicious recipe a try, read on for more convincing.
- A light meal option. We all have those days when we want to eat something light, and this salad is a perfect option for that. It is creamy, light, and bursting with fresh sweetness from the grapes, this is a dish you can feel great about eating.
- You can make it in large batches. Want to serve it up at your next party, backyard BBQ, or family get together? You can double or triple the recipe as needed and have plenty of it to share with your family and friends!
- Quick and simple. This recipe is made with just about 7 ingredients (not including the seasonings) and assembled in just a few quick steps, this dish comes together quickly with very little prep work.
Avocado Chicken Salad Ingredients
Chicken: You will need 2 cups of diced cooked chicken for this recipe, feel free to use canned chicken too. To make this recipe nice and easy, you can cook your chicken in a crockpot or even pick up a rotisserie chicken.
Avocado: Use 1 medium avocado, diced, to add amazing flavor and texture to this chicken salad.
Apple: You need about 1/2 an apple, diced but not peeled, for a great crunchy addition.
Celery: Adding in 2 stems of celery, sliced (about 1/2 cup), for some earthy flavor.
Grapes: Using about 1/2 cup of sliced grapes will provide some nice sweet and juicy bites to this salad.
Yogurt: Add in about 1/4-1/3 cup of plain yogurt for a great creamy texture, I used an entire 5.3 oz cup of yogurt.
Cashews: For a great crunchy bite, use 1/4 cup of salted cashews.
Seasonings: Add in a dash of salt, pepper, dried parsley and onion powder to season this salad well.
Lemon juice: You will need a dash of lemon juice for great citrus flavor.
Step by step on how to make Avocado Chicken Salad
Start by preparing the chicken, cook it in the oven, a crockpot or even used a canned version. However you cook it is up to you.
Dice the avocado into small cubes, chop the apple into bite sized pieces (do not peel), and cut the celery into small pieces too. You will also want to slice the grapes in half too.
Proceed to transfer all the prepared ingredients into a large bowl, the cooked chicken, avocado, apple, celery and grapes, then add a dash of lemon juice and stir a bit, coating all the ingredients well.
After that, add in the yogurt and stir, coating everything nicely. Next, add the seasonings, salt, pepper, parsley, and onion powder, taste along the way to ensure it is to your liking.
Place the bowl of chicken salad into the refrigerator and chill for about 30-60 minutes.
When ready to serve, spoon on top of your favorite cracker, dip with tortilla chips or even make a sandwich with this amazing dip.
Serve and enjoy!
Avocado Chicken Salad
- 2 cups Chicken diced cooked
- 1 medium avocado diced
- ½ cup Apple diced but not peeled
- ½ cup Celery sliced
- ½ cup Grapes sliced
- ¼ cup Yogurt I used an entire 5.3 oz cup of yogurt.
- ¼ cup Cashews
- Seasonings: A dash of salt, pepper, dried parsley and onion powder.
- A dash of lemon juice
- Prep: Start by preparing the chicken, cook it in the oven, a crockpot or even used a canned version. However you cook it is up to you.
- Dice the avocado into small cubes, chop the apple into bite sized pieces (do not peel), and cut the celery into small pieces too. You will also want to slice the grapes in half too.
- Assemble: Proceed to transfer all the prepared ingredients into a large bowl, the cooked chicken, avocado, apple, celery and grapes, then add a dash of lemon juice and stir a bit, coating all the ingredients well.
- After that, add in the yogurt and stir, coating everything nicely. Next, add the seasonings, salt, pepper, parsley, and onion powder, taste along the way to ensure it is to your liking.
- Place the bowl of chicken salad into the refrigerator and chill for about 30-60 minutes. When ready to serve, spoon on top of your favorite cracker, dip with tortilla chips or even make a sandwich with this amazing dip. Serve and enjoy!
HOW TO SERVE CHICKEN SALAD?
This chicken salad recipe would taste great served over the top of your favorite cracker or create a luscious sandwich. This is a delicious mix that also tastes great when spread over the top of salty crackers, apple slices, or just by itself!
HOW LONG IS CHICKEN SALAD GOOD FOR?
This chicken salad can be kept stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the fridge. I do not recommend freezing this recipe as it will not hold up well.
HOW LONG CAN CHICKEN SALAD BE LEFT OUT?
If you are serving this salad to a group at a party, then you should note that due to the ingredients, this is a recipe that should not sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. On a hot day (like above 90 degrees F), then it should only be left out for up to one hour. If needed, divide the salad into bowls and keep one bowl in the fridge while the other is out at the party, and rotate them after an hour or so to keep everything safe for consumption.
WHAT TYPE OF CHICKEN WORKS WELL FOR CHICKEN SALAD?
You can use any plain cooked chicken or even canned (drained) chicken. My favorite is to use the prepackaged, already chopped rotisserie chicken I can find in the deli. It adds more flavor and is all ready to be mixed into the chicken salad.
Try more great salad recipes here!
- FRITO CORN SALAD
- MARSHMALLOW FRUIT SALAD WITH COOL WHIP
- AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD TOPPED RITZ® CRACKERS
- EASY PISTACHIO SALAD RECIPE
- FROG EYE SALAD
- CHICKEN BLT SALAD
- SNICKERS APPLE SALAD
- CREAMY ORANGE FRUIT SALAD
- 5-MINUTE CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE WITH CANNED CHICKEN
- COLD CHICKEN PASTA SALAD WITH MAYO
- RICH & CREAMY GRAPE SALAD
- CREAMY POMEGRANATE FRUIT SALAD
Avocado Chicken Salad is packed with amazing chicken, apple chunks and soft avocado pieces! This chicken salad with avocado is a great variation on a classic chicken salad recipe.
Jeanette Whitfield says
Oh how yummy!! I’m always up for some chicken salad after making a crockpot rotisserie chicken! YUM!! Thanks for sharing a great recipe =)
will this hold up for a day or two with the avacado or will it turn brown quickly. I want to make for work party but afraid of the avacado. Sounds awesome though. Thanks
Because of the dash of lemon juice it won’t turn brown super fast. However if it was ME making it for a party, what I’d do is add the avocado at the very last minute. 🙂 I had some for lunch today and the avocado was a bit brown- less than if there wasn’t any lemon juice, but of course not the vibrant green it used to be. (This is after 3 days in the fridge.) Hope this helps!
thanks very much
Amber @ The Bewitched Baker says
Avocado is such a good addition to chicken salad, so nice and creamy. 🙂
Chloe Crabtree says
I love chicken salad and so does my family, I will try your twist with the avocado, it sounds delicious! I am pinning and sharing over at G+! Hugs! Chloe