STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM PIE

Butter With a Side of Bread: Strawberries and Cream Pie

I’m not a very big fan of traditional pies, but I found this recipe a few years ago and it has become a family favorite for pie and non-pie fans alike!  I have only used strawberries, but you can use any fruit or combination of fruit and I’m sure it would still be delicious.  I think raspberries would be wonderful with this recipe…maybe I’ll try that next time.
Strawberries and Cream Pie
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tsp shortening
1 Oreo pie crust (I have also used a graham cracker crust and both options are fabulous)
1 8-oz block cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 tub Cool Whip (8 oz)
2 cups fresh strawberries, halved

Butter With a Side of Bread: Strawberries and Cream Pie

Combine chocolate chips and shortening and melt in the microwave.  I usually microwave it for about 30 seconds and then stir.  If needed, microwave for another 15-20 seconds and stir again.  Stir until well combined and then pour about 3/4 of the mixture into the bottom of the crust and refrigerate until firm.

Butter With a Side of Bread: Strawberries and Cream Pie

Butter With a Side of Bread: Strawberries and Cream Pie
Beat the cream cheese, sugar, sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
Butter With a Side of Bread: Strawberries and Cream Pie

Fold in the Cool Whip.

Butter With a Side of Bread: Strawberries and Cream Pie

Pour (or scoop) the mixture into the crust and refrigerate overnight.

Butter With a Side of Bread: Strawberries and Cream Pie
Arrange the strawberries on top of the pie.  Microwave the remaining chocolate and drizzle over the top.   I usually refrigerate again for about an hour before serving.  You can also add the strawberries and chocolate before refrigerating overnight – that works great too!
Butter With a Side of Bread: Strawberries and Cream Pie

Comments

May I make a suggestion? Substitute the shortening with 36% heavy whipping cream. This will give the ganache (melted chocolate) a smoother consistency and prevent the nasty "fat film" on the roof of your mouth. Butter will do the same, but heavy cream provides a more creamy and less oily texture.

james, how did it go- the low carb. <br />i was wondering if coconut oil would work well instead of shortening?<br />and has anyone had any luck using the lower cal/fat options of the ingredients/ (ie the cream cheese, sour cream and cool whip all come in half fat…)

Quite warm and muggy here in Minnesota.I&#39;m going to make this now, and put it in the freezer to have a nice cool treat later on for dessert.I&#39;ll just take it out shortly before it&#39;s time to cut into it. I think it&#39;ll work out nicely :-)

Tracy Scanlan I live in Australia also.Being from the states originally I was lost when over there we have pie crust of every sorts available. I have found it easier to just make it yourself rather then try to hunt them down. For this crust just make it like you would a graham cracker crust. cheers mate

My filling did not turn out as firm as it looks to be in the photo making it hard to cut the pie. I&#39;m not sure what I did wrong. I followed the recipe to a tee &amp; left in the fridge for over 24 hours.

I so wish that all these amazing recipes didn&#39;t call for cream cheese and sour cream as no one in the family will eat either. I wish there was something that would work as a substitute

7. Melanie says

Has anyone tried to substitute heavy whipping cream for the cool whip? I don’t like cool whip, but only freshly whipped cream.

• Jessica says

I’m sure whipped heavy whipping cream with added vanilla and powdered sugar would be a great substitution for Cool Whip!