Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage is packed with all your morning favorites: hash brown-like tater tots, savory sausage, gooey cheese, eggs, peppers, & bacon! Easy, hearty breakfast casserole that everyone loves!
Making this recipe for Sausage Tater Tot Casserole is so simple and perfect for serving for breakfast, whether it’s prepared ahead of time or that morning. A tater tot breakfast casserole with bacon and sausage is always welcomed on the menu and it is not hard to see why. With so much flavor filling every slice, it is a perfect warm meal that the whole family will enjoy. For an additional touch, serve with a side of fruits or bacon strips for a full meal.
Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots and Sausage
This tater tot egg sausage casserole has got everything you would normally want at your breakfast table but is a one dish meal perfect for weekend breakfasts. The eggs help bind together the cooked bacon and sausage while the seasonings, onions, and bell peppers help to add another wonderful layer of taste. The cheese swirled around and layered on top also helps to make this dish irresistibly good. It is a great dish to serve if you are hosting guests, it feeds a crowd and it good for 2-3 days after reheating.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage ingredients
-Tater tots: You will need a 32-ounce bag of frozen tater tots, but the actual amount of tots will vary depending on how you place them in the pan. You do not need to thaw the tater tots beforehand.
-Sausage: You will need 1 pound of ground sausage for the casserole. You will be cooking it before mixing it into the casserole.
-Bacon: Use ⅓ cup of your favorite bacon bits or chopped bacon that you cooked previously.
-Onions: You will need ⅓ cup of chopped onions. I used sweet onions but red or white will both work well.
-Cheese: Use 2 cups each (8 ounces) of shredded mild cheddar cheese and Colby Jack cheese.
-Eggs: You will need 6 large eggs for this casserole.
-Seasonings: You will need 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon of celery seeds, and ⅛ teaspoon (a pinch) each of salt and pepper to make this casserole taste great.
-Peppers: Add in ⅓ cup each of differently colored bell peppers like red and yellow for added sweetness and flavor.
-Milk: To stretch the filling out and keep the casserole moist you will need 1 cup of milk. I used 2% but you can use whole milk. I do not recommend using heavy cream.
How to make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease the inside of a 9×13 baking dish and then set it aside.
Chop your chosen bell peppers into small pieces, set aside for later use.
Begin by, in a medium-sized pan over medium heat, cook your chopped onion and bacon bits until soft and the onions are translucent.
Then add in the ground sausage and cook until the sausage is fully cooked and no longer pink. Set aside.
Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, with the milk, garlic powder, celery seeds, salt, and pepper until combined. If you do not have celery seeds it’s ok to leave them out.
Proceed to add in the chopped bell peppers and mix again.
Then you add in 1 cup of cheese and mix until blended.
Now it is time to pour your cooked sausage mixture into the bottom of the greased baking dish.
Sprinkle the top with ½ cup of each type of cheese.
Next, pour your egg mixture on top of the sausage and spread it out evenly.
Continue to place a layer of frozen tater tots on top.
Sprinkle the tater tots with the remaining shredded cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a nice golden color.
Serve warm. Enjoy!
TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE WITH SAUSAGE
- 32 oz tater tots frozen
- 1 pound ground sausage
- ⅓ cup bacon bits
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery seeds if you don't have this, it's ok to leave out
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped red pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped yellow pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Chop bell peppers into small pieces, set aside for later use.
- In a medium-size pan, over medium heat, heat up chopped onion and bacon bits until softened up. The onion becomes translucent. Add the ground sausage and cook until the sausage is fully cooked, no pinker. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk eggs, milk, garlic powder, celery seeds, salt, and ground pepper. Mix until all combined.
- Mix in red and yellow chopped peppers.
- Add approximately 1 cup of cheese (I put mild cheddar cheese), and mix until all ingredients are blended.
- Pour the cooked sausage mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared casserole. Sprinkle ½ cup of cheese on top.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and spread evenly.
- Place the frozen tater tots on top. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top.
- Cook in a preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until nice and golden. Serve immediately.
Can I make this dish the night before?
Yes! You can make this breakfast casserole ahead. Simply make and assemble as directed and cover the pan well. Instead of placing it in the oven, place it in the fridge overnight. In the morning place the dish on the counter as the oven preheats so that the pan can warm up a bit before being cooked. Bake as directed.
How long are leftovers good for?
The leftovers from this casserole can be kept stored in a well-covered or airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How many tater tots will I need?
If you arrange them in neat rows you’ll need approximately 3 cups, and you can place the remaining cup (what will be left in the bag) on top of the casserole if desired. The appearance will change and not look as neat, but you may get another serving out of it. the casserole will still be delicious and it saves you from having to put away such a small amount of tots for later.
Check out these other great breakfast recipes for more morning inspiration
- FALL FRUIT BREAKFAST CRUMBLE
- ORANGE BREAKFAST CRESCENTS
- HASH BROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- CROCKPOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- BACON BREAKFAST SCRAMBLE
- BREAKFAST ROLLS
- CHEESY HASHBROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- PROTEIN BREAKFAST WRAPS
- PANCAKE BREAKFAST SANDWICHES
- EASY BREAKFAST NACHOS
Enjoy your breakfast casserole with tater tots and sausage any day of the year. From busy holiday mornings to sleepy weekends. This easy casserole dish is always a welcomed dish to bring to the table.