These raspberry sweet rolls are sure to blow your mind. Made with raspberries, cream cheese, and delicious yeast bread, these little breakfast sweet rolls are going to become a year-round favorite!
We love cinnamon rolls and breakfast foods (who wouldn’t) but serving up homemade sweet rolls is something almost always unexpected. Much like their cinnamon roll cousins, these raspberry cream cheese rolls have a special place in our hearts and once you try this recipe, you’ll create a special place for them in your heart as well.
What are sweet rolls?
A sweet roll is a yeast bread filled with a sweet filling and often topped with a glaze or icing at the end. You may instantly think of cinnamon rolls or cinnamon buns, but others include danishes, filled croissants, or similar. These rolls and pastries may go by many names but they can be lumped together within the sweet roll category.
Ingredients for Raspberry cream cheese sweet rolls
-Milk: Adding ¾ cup of warmed whole milk into the dough will help to make it fluffier and taste better too.
-Sugar: We need ¼ cup of granulated sugar to go into the dough to make it sweet.
-Yeast: Giving us our leavening and helping the bread to taste incredible is the 2 ¼ teaspoons of yeast needed. This is about how much you find in a single yeast packet.
-Butter: To keep the dough nice and rich we need fats so using ¼ cup of unsalted melted butter will help us to do just that.
-Egg: We need 1 large egg, at room temperature to help bind the dough together and give it a richer taste.
-Flour: The base of this dough recipe is 3 cups of all purpose flour.
-Salt: Adding ½ teaspoon of salt into the dough will help to enhance the flavors wonderfully.
Cream Cheese Filling
-Cream cheese: You will need 8 ounces (one brick) of softened cream cheese at room temperature.
-Butter: Adding ½ cup (one stick) of softened unsalted butter will give us a richer taste in our filling.
-Sugar: We need our filling sweet so add in ¾ cups of granulated sugar.
-Vanilla: A great flavor enhancer is vanilla, so we need 1 teaspoon to make our filling taste great.
-Raspberries: You will need 2 cups of frozen raspberries to get our filling flavorful and colorful as it should be.
-Powdered sugar: To add in some more sweetness you will need ¼ cup of powdered sugar.
-Cornstarch: This is a thickener that will help to keep the filling from leaking all over the place as it bakes. We need 1 tablespoon of cornstarch for this.
How to make Cream Cheese Raspberry Sweet Rolls
Make the dough
Whisk together the milk, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Cover the bowl and let rest for 10 minutes or until foamy.
Add in the melted butter and egg. Whisk until smooth.
Add in the flour and salt and switch to the dough hook attachment.
Mix the dough together and knead for 2 minutes. The dough will be slightly sticky.
Transfer to a large well-oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Make the fillings
While the dough is rising, prepare the fillings.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Do not over whisk or the mixture will become runny. Set aside.
In another small bowl, mix together the frozen raspberries, powdered sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
Assemble and bake rolls
After the dough has finished rising, roll it out onto a floured surface until it’s about ¼ inch thick. About a 10×15 rectangle.
Evenly spread the cream cheese filling over the top of the dough and leave a ¼ inch border all the way around. Reserve ½ cup of cream cheese filling for the glaze. This is optional.
Evenly distribute the raspberry filling over the top of the dough.
From one long side of the rectangle, roll tightly to the other creating a log, and then pinch the seams together.
With the dough seam down, slice the dough into 9 even-sized rolls using dental floss or a sharp knife. Trim off the edges on either side as they will not have enough filling.
Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
Place the rolls in the baking tray, evenly spaced. Leave in a warm place for about 45 minutes to rise.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and bake the rolls for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Remove the pan from the oven and allow the rolls a few minutes to cool down. Serve warm as-is or frost the tops with the reserved cream cheese filling mixture. Enjoy!
Raspberry Sweet Rolls with Cream Cheese Filling
Sweet Roll Dough
- ¾ cup whole milk warm
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp yeast 1 packet
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese softened at room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups raspberries fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Make the dough
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, whisk together the milk, sugar and yeast. Cover and leave to rest for 10 minutes or until mixture appears foamy.
- Add the melted butter and egg and whisk until smooth
- Add the flour and salt and switch to the dough hook. Mix till dough forms and continue to knead for 2 more minutes. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a large well-oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Make the fillings
- Whilst dough is rising, in a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla. Whisk with an electric hand whisk until smooth and creamy. Do not over whisk or mixture may get runny. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the frozen raspberries, powdered sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
Assemble and bake rolls
- After the dough has finished rising, roll it out onto a floured surface to about ¼ inch thickness (about a 10×15 inch rectangle).
- Evenly spread out the cream cheese filling over the dough, leaving a ¼ inch border all around. Reserve ½ cup filling for to use as glaze (optional)
- Evenly distribute the raspberries filling over the dough
- Tightly roll the dough into a log, starting from the long side. Pinch the seams together.
- With dough seam side down, slice into 9 even rolls using floss or a sharp knife. Trim off the edges on either side which will not have enough filling.
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Place the rolls onto the baking tray, evenly spaced out. Leave in a warm place to rise for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and bake at rolls for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve warm as is or frost with the reserved cream cheese mixture.
How do I know if my yeast is still good?
While expiration and best-by dates on yeast can help to give some sort of a heads up the best way to test yeast is to use it. You need to allow the yeast to proof in the warm milk mixture for a few minutes. If it foamy up and begins to look forthy, your yeast is still great. If after 10 minutes the yeast still looks as it did when you first poured it together, the yeast is either dead or your milk was too cold or hot. A good temperature for warmed milk would be no hotter than 110 degrees F.
How long are raspberry sweet rolls good for?
These sweet rolls can last up to two days if stored properly in an airtight container in the fridge or on the counter. I recommend eating them when fresh and warm from the oven for the best tasting results but you can also reheat for a few seconds in the microwave if desired or simply eat them cold.
More tasty recipes like these sweet rolls:
- HOMEMADE BUTTER CROISSANT
- ONE-HOUR ORANGE ROLLS
- HOMEMADE CINNAMON ROLLS
- HONEY CREAM CHEESE CROISSANTS
- STRAWBERRY CRESCENT ROLLS
- MINI 15-MINUTE CINNAMON ROLLS
- GLAZED PUMPKIN CINNAMON ROLLS
- CHRISTMAS CINNAMON ROLLS
You’re going to love these raspberry cream cheese rolls because they’re a fabulous dessert or breakfast treat no one expects, but everyone loves. Look forward to this filled yeast bread recipe any time of the year.
Homemade Raspberry Sweet Rolls with a sweet cream cheese filling & topped with a buttery vanilla glaze! Family favorite sweet roll recipe that comes together easily & everyone loves!