Pizzelle cookies are a buttery and light Italian waffle-like cookie that never goes out of style. Often made for special occasions, making these cookies is a tradition that has withstood the tests of time.
One of my favorite holiday traditions over recent years is getting together with my parents just before Christmas and making pizzelles. These cookies were a staple growing up, they are another “grandma” tradition in our family.
My mom inherited my grandma’s pizzelle irons, so we meander on over to their house every Christmas season, and at 2-minutes per cookie, we crank out hundreds of these during the holidays. I have never found a substitute for these sensational cookies, nor have I ever tasted another recipe that tastes quite like my grandma’s.
Italian Waffle Cookies
Pizzelle Cookies are a lovely crisp and thin cookie made with just 7 ingredients including eggs, flour, vanilla, and butter. This recipe for Italian pizzelle cookies is so delicious and sweet, making for a light and wonderful cookie packed with amazing flavor.
Traditionally these cookies are made sing anise for added flavor, but we leave that out of this recipe because we aren’t fans of the anise flavor. So instead what we get is a buttery vanilla taste that’s pretty incredible.
Why You Should Make Some Pizzelle Cookies
If starting or continuing your own Italian traditions isn’t enough to get you excited about these cookies then maybe these reasons on why you should make them will:
- They make great gifts. Making this Pizzelle cookie recipe is a perfect idea for gifts during the holidays, it is such a classic recipe that never goes out of style.
- They’re lightly sweetened. Compared to all of the heavy holiday foods and desserts you will no doubt eat this season, this pizzelle dessert is delicate, light, and sweet making it a perfect addition to balance out the heavier foods on the table.
- You can add different toppings. A couple of great options are powder sugar, cinnamon sugar, or even a nice melted chocolate drizzle. You can be creative with the topping, these cookies are so simple and delicious anything you add to them will taste amazing.
Pizzelle Cookie Ingredients
Eggs: You will need 6 eggs for the cookies to be a lovely light texture.
Vanilla extract: Using 1 teaspoon vanilla extract will help enhance all the combined flavors in this amazing cookie recipe.
Butter: You need 15 tablespoons of melted butter for a nice, deep, rich taste for these cookies. This is almost 2 full sticks of butter.
Sugar: Using 15 tablespoons of granulated sugar will provide the perfect amount of sweetness to this dessert. this is just shy of a full measuring cup of sugar.
Baking powder: Adding in 2 teaspoons of baking powder will provide the right amount of leavening agent to this cookie.
Salt: You only need 1 teaspoon of salt to help balance the flavors well.
Flour: Use 4-5 cups of all-purpose flour for the base of this cookie dough.
Step by Step on How to Make Pizzelle Cookies
Form the Dough
In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together.
Then, add the beaten eggs and melted butter until fully combined.
Next, knead to form a soft dough.
After that, using a tablespoon size cookie scoop begin to roll the cookie dough into ping pong ball size dough balls.
Begin to place balls of dough, one at a time, in the iron, cooking on a gas stove for about one minute per side.
If you are using an electric pizzelle maker cook each batch for 2 minutes.
Make sure to let the cookies cool after baking before stacking them on each other.
Toppings and Serve
As each batch of cookies is removed from the iron, while they are still hot, sprinkle each cookie with your choice of topping.
Let the cookies cool for a few minutes, serve warm and enjoy!
Finding a Pizzelle Cookie Iron
If you happen to spot one of these crazy-looking pizzelle makers hidden in a grandma/aunt/cousin’s closet/attic/basement, do yourself a favor and grab it! They are gems! If you are a newbie to pizzelles, you can find them at stores including Amazon.
A good tip is to make sure your pizzelle cookie press is made from a good quality iron… the more worn-in, the better! There are also easier options these days that are similar to a waffle maker. This speeds up the time that it takes to make your cookies, while still giving you a great result.
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 15 tbsp melted butter (almost 2 full sticks)
- 15 tbsp sugar (almost 1 cup)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4-5 cups flour
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together.
- Then, add the beaten eggs and melted butter until fully combined.
- Next, knead to form a soft dough.
- After that, using a tablespoon size cookie scoop begin to roll cookie dough into ping pong ball size dough balls.
- Begin to place balls of dough, one at a time, in the iron, cooking on a gas stove about one minute per side.
- If you are using an electric pizzelle maker cook each batch for 2 minutes.
- Make sure to let the cookies cool after baking before stacking on each other.
Toppings and serve
- As each batch of cookies is removed from the iron, while they are still hot, sprinkle each cookie with your choice of topping. A couple great options are powder sugar, cinnamon sugar, or even a nice melted chocolate drizzle. You can be creative with the topping, these cookies are so simple and delicious anything you add to them will taste amazing.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes, serve warm and enjoy!
What does “pizzelle” mean?
Loosely translated the word pizzelle actually means “small, flat” which is actually a pretty descriptive depiction on the appearance of these cookies.
How long are pizzelle cookies good for?
These cookies will stay fresh for 3-5 days if stored in an airtight container, at room temperature.
How do you store pizzelle cookies?
Pizzelle cookies are very delicate and light, to keep them from breaking store them in a large container and create flat layers of cookies using parchment paper in between each layer. Make sure to wait until the cookies have cooled completely before placing them in a container together, they will stick together if still warm.
Can you freeze pizzelle cookies?
Yes, pizzelle cookies can be frozen in an airtight container after they have been cooled completely. Just wrap them in plastic wrap first so that they stay separated in the container and remain convenient for grabbing as few or as many as you want at a time. They can remain frozen for up to 3 months and only take a few minutes to thaw but once thawed the cookies will be much more brittle than freshly made pizzelle cookies.
If you liked these amazing cookies, try these other great cookie recipes too!
- Mint Chocolate Pudding Cookies
- Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lemon Pudding Cookies
- Cookies and Cream Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Mrs. Fields White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Apple Pie Cookie Cups
- The Best Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies
Pizzelle Cookies are a lovely crisp and thin cookie made with simple ingredients. This recipe for Italian pizzelle cookies is so delicious and sweet, a light and wonderful cookie with amazing flavor.