The Best Snickerdoodle Cookies you will ever taste are these soft, chewy and perfectly spiced treats! This classic snickerdoodle cookie recipe creates perfectly sweet and delicious cookies ever.
This easy snickerdoodle recipe is so simple to make and the best part is you likely have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already! These cinnamon sugar cookies are so delicate and sweet, the way your house smells while they bake is absolutely incredible too.
Everyone’s favorite Cinnamon Sugar Cookie
My oldest son adores Snickerdoodles, so I make them often. I have also used the same recipe for years, my moto, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. This recipe is so easy to make and my kids love spooning the sugar over the dough. I really enjoy the simple flavor of Snickerdoodle cookies, so really, everyone wins!
Tips to get the PERFECT Snickerdoodle Cookies:
Three kitchen items make these cookies come together quickly and easily. I actually use these items in nearly every cookie recipe I make, so they’re quite versatile.
- First, I line my cookie sheets with a piece of parchment paper. They’re sold in sizes that fit a 12×16 cookie sheet perfectly and enable to cookies to bake well without sticking- and no mess from spraying oil on the cookie sheets! Parchment is especially useful for this recipe as the dough is quite soft. It makes clean up a breeze!
- The second item is a KitchenAid mixer. I love mine! I have a Bosch as well but I find I use my KitchenAid for cookies. There is a cookie paddle that comes with every mixer that you attach to the top of the mixer. They’re easy to use and help you mix the ingredients uniformly. I also use the metal whisk attachment in this recipe to make the frosting. It whips it up super fast! Add this to your wish list because it’s one of my all-time used small appliances ever!
- The third item is a cookie scoop! Years and years ago I used to use 2 spoons to measure and scrape cookie dough onto the pans. It wasn’t a perfect process and I often ended up with oblong cookies in various sizes. A friend of mine brought cookies to a party and I noticed each and every one of her cookies looked PERFECT. Her secret? A cookie scoop! They come in three sizes- 1/2 tablespoon, 1.5 tablespoon and 3 tablespoon scoops. I used the middle size- 1.5 tablespoon for these, and most other cookies. (Although when I’m serving a large crowd, I use the small cookie scoop. People love having a smaller cookie, especially at an event with several other desserts.)
The BEST Snickerdoodle Cookie Ingredients
Butter: Adding in ½ cup of butter, softened, helps create a wonderful rich flavored cookie.
Shortening: You need ½ cup of shortening (I used butter flavored Crisco), to add even more great taste.
Sugar: For perfectly sweet and chewy treats, use 1 ½ cups of sugar.
Eggs: Use 2 eggs in this dough to help bind the ingredients together well.
Vanilla extract: Add in 1 TBSP of vanilla extract to enhance all the amazing flavors in this dough.
Flour: The structural base of this cookie dough is 2 ¾ cups + 2 TBSP of flour.
Cream of tartar: Adding in 2 tsp of cream of tartar will ensure the cookies have the classic taste we all know and love.
Baking soda: To help the cookies rise as they bake, add in 1 tsp of baking soda.
Salt: Using ½ tsp of salt will balance out all the flavors in this cookie dough.
Cinnamon-sugar mixture: You need 3 TBSP of sugar + 2 tsp of cinnamon for the sweet cookie coating.
How to make Classic Snickerdoodle Cookies
Get started by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats and set aside.
Next, in a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, sugar, the eggs and vanilla extract. Proceed to blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt.
After that, scoop and shape the dough by rounded spoonful’s, into balls using a cookie scoop or standard soup spoon.
In a separate small bowl, mix the additional 3 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon and then roll the balls of dough in the mixture. Also spoon some of the cinnamon-sugar mixture over each cookie, turning once and doing the same on the other side. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes exactly! Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheets for an additional 2 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Serve immediately (warm cookies, yum!) and enjoy!
THE BEST SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup shortening I used butter flavored Crisco
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 2 ¾ cups flour + 2 TBSP flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 TBSP Sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats.
- Dough: Cream together butter, shortening, sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
- Sugar coating: Mix the 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture, then spoon cinnamon-sugar mixture over each cookie, turning once and doing the same on the other side. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake: Put in the oven and bake for 8 minutes exactly! Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheets for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Serve warm and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Do you have to add Cream of Tartar to Snickerdoodles?
Cream of Tartar is one of the ingredients that gives Snickerdoodles its distinct flavor & texture. It makes it so that these cookies don’t just taste like sugar cookies with a cinnamon sugar coating. The flavor is unique and fairly difficult to replicate. Nevertheless, if you’re out and don’t want to run to the store, you can substitute baking powder instead, being as baking powder actually contains Cream of Tartar!
HOW LONG ARE THESE SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES GOOD FOR?
I recommend eating these cookies within 3-5 days for the best tasting results. You can keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days, but eating these cookies sooner means they will taste so much better. Yum!
CAN I FREEZE THESE SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES?
Yes, these cookies can be frozen. Simply place them in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before eating by placing a cookie (or more) on the counter for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
How to You Measure Dry Ingredients?
To understand how to measure dry ingredients, I’ll use the example of measuring flour. This method I’m describing is one most home cooks use. To measure 1 cup of flour, you scoop out flour using a tool that’s NOT your measuring cup and deposit the flour into the 1 cup measuring cup. I gently shake the cup from side to side just to level the flour a bit. Then I use a clean butter knife to level off the flour. If you just need 1 tablespoon of flour, I’d simply scoop up flour using my tablespoon measuring spoon and again, level with a knife.
Try more great cinnamon spiced cookie recipes here:
- Apple Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Frosted Snickerdoodles
- Apple Cider Snickerdoodles
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookie Bar
- Big Fat Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Holiday Spiced Snickerdoodles
- Snickerdoodle Apple Pie Cookie Cups
- Caramel Apple Snickerdoodles
- Peach Snickerdoodles
These are the Best Snickerdoodle Cookies, they are tender, sweet and perfectly spiced! This traditional snickerdoodle cookie recipe makes the most delicious cookies ever.