Lemon Rosemary Chicken Drumsticks with potatoes made with tangy, fresh lemon, rosemary & garlic in every bite of this one-pan dinner! Easy, flavorful weeknight chicken drumsticks recipe that everyone loves!
If you are looking for a quick and easy meal to prepare, look no further! This lemon pepper chicken and potatoes is a full course meal baked in a convenient manner- ONE baking dish. This recipe is the solution to the ongoing battle of “what to make for dinner?”. Loaded with so much delicious flavor in every bite you are going to want to go back for seconds, or even thirds.
Roasted lemon chicken and potatoes recipe
The combination of lovely roasted rosemary potatoes, lemon chicken, and garlic are what bring the best flavors to every bite. All the ingredients harmoniously work together to create a perfect meal for your family. This dish of chicken drumsticks and potatoes is smothered in a lemon-garlic marinade that adds zesty goodness and aromatics to every plate. This is one meal you and your family will not forget!
Lemon Rosemary Chicken & Potatoes Ingredients:
-Chicken: You will need about 2 ½ – 3 pounds of chicken drumsticks for this recipe. You can decide if you want skinless for this recipe, I personally love the skin on my drumsticks.
-Potatoes: Use 2-3 large potatoes. You can use russet or golden but you’ll need them peeled and sliced.
-Onion: Use 1 yellow onion that has been peeled and sliced.
-Salt: To help enhance flavors add in ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
-Pepper: Adding in ½ teaspoon of black pepper will make this dish taste good.
-Olive oil: You will need 2 tablespoons of olive oil to help coat everything so that it cooks evenly.
-Lemon: Use 1 sliced lemon to add fresh citrus taste. You will need a total of 2 lemons for this recipe, save one for the marinade.
-Rosemary: You will want about 2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary for garnish. This is optional.
For the rosemary lemon garlic marinade, you will need:
–Olive oil: ¼ cup of olive oil will help to mix the ingredients in the marinade so that they can coat everything as needed.
-Lemon juice: Use the fresh squeezed juice of 1 medium to large size lemon.
-Garlic: Use 4 cloves of minced garlic to make sure there’s enough to lend flavor to everything. This equates to 1 ⅓ tablespoon if you are using pre-minced garlic.
-Rosemary: You will need 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary.
How to Make Lemon Rosemary Chicken & Potatoes
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
In the bottom of a large (9 x 13) baking dish arrange the chicken legs so they are all spread out and not stacked up on each other. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top of the chicken. Set aside.
Next you are going to peel and slice both the potatoes and onions. You will then cut them both into thin wedges.
Add the potatoes and onions to the baking dish with the chicken legs, arrange them in the baking dish between each chicken leg.
Proceed to drizzle the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, try to just coat the potatoes only.
Preparing the marinade
Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until evenly mixed.
Then you will carefully spoon the sauce over the top of the chicken drumsticks. Some of the marinade will get on the potatoes and onions, that is alright.
Place the fresh lemon slices on top of the prepared chicken.
Time to bake
Place the baking dish in your pre-heated oven and bake for 35 minutes.
Open the door and garnish the chicken with fresh rosemary sprigs (this is optional). Bake for another 10 minutes or until the chicken has reached the recommended 165 degrees for poultry.
Serve with a fresh green salad or sautéed vegetables of choice for a nice full meal. Enjoy!
LEMON ROSEMARY CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS WITH POTATOES
- 3 lbs Chicken drumsticks
- 2-3 large potatoes I like golden or russet, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow onion peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon sliced
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary garnish (optional)Lemon-Garlic Marinade
- ¼ olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange the chicken drumsticks onto the bottom of a large (9 x 13) baking dish. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Peel and slice the potatoes and onions. Cutting both into the shape of thin wedges. Arrange them in the baking dish between the chicken drumsticks. Drizzle the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, minced garlic and fresh chopped rosemary. Stir together until the lemon-garlic sauce is evenly mixed.
- Gently spoon the sauce over the chicken drumsticks. Evenly place lemon slices on top of the prepared chicken.
- Place the prepared baking dish in a preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Open the oven and carefully garnish the chicken with fresh rosemary sprigs (optional). Close the door and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve with a fresh green salad or sauteed vegetables of choice. Enjoy!
Do I have to peel the potatoes?
If you use golden potatoes or red potatoes you do not have to peel the skin on them because the skin is so thin that when baked you may not even notice that it is there. The skin of a russet potato, however, is much thicker and less desirable to eat. If you like the skin you may leave it on though. In either case, you want to make sure that the potatoes are all washed very well and cut to the same size so that they can cook evenly.
What can I serve with lemon rosemary chicken drumsticks?
This dish would be great served alongside simple additions like a green salad or bread roll. Adding sauteed or steamed veggies also works well. Some great veggie ideas include broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, or even asparagus as they will all go nicely with the lemon flavors.
Can I freeze this dish and use at a later date?
If you want to do meal planning for your week this is a good recipe to use. You can put your chicken drumsticks in a freezer zip locked bag, add the marinade ingredients and mix together. When you are ready to bake, pour the contents of the bag into your baking dish prepare your potatoes and onions as instructed above. Keeping the potatoes and onions separate from the frozen chicken and marinade is best for this type of meal.
Here are some more great chicken dinner recipes you’re sure to love!
- CREAMY LEMON CHICKEN PASTA
- ZESTY ITALIAN CHICKEN
- LEMON CHICKEN VEGETABLE SOUP
- BUFFALO CHICKEN TATERTOT CASSEROLE
- THE BEST LEMON CHICKEN
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
- GREEK CHICKEN SOUVLAKI with LEMON RICE
- OVEN BAKED CHICKEN BREASTS
- CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- BEST CHICKEN and DUMPLINGS RECIPE
- EASY INDIAN BUTTER CHICKEN
Lemon rosemary garlic chicken and potatoes is a dinner idea the whole family will enjoy. The flavors and convenience of this dish is ideal for any night of the week!