Easy Grilled Teriyaki Chicken recipe has just 3 ingredients and makes juicy, tender and flavorful chicken every time! Chicken Teriyaki recipe perfect for a simple weeknight dinner or grilling with friends and family.
Easy Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
If you are looking for a simple and delicious marinade recipe, look no further. This no fail marinade makes the most perfect grilled chicken each time I use it. It is our go to recipe for a quick weeknight meal and we have even used it to impress whole groups of friends at neighborhood barbecues!!
Teriyaki Chicken Marinade ingredients
For this recipe, you will only need 3 simple ingredients, really this couldn’t be any easier!! You will be surprised at how much flavor comes from this marinade!
- lemon lime soda
- vegetable or olive oil
- soy sauce
That’s it!! This makes enough marinade for up to 6 chicken breasts.
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken
To make this simple Teriyaki Chicken, place the marinade ingredients in a zip top bag, or large plastic container with a lid. Place the chicken in the bag and make sure it is all covered. The chicken can be in the marinade for up to 6 hours before cooking. Store the marinading chicken in the refrigerator until you are ready to grill. I usually flip the chicken a few times throughout the day to make sure it is evenly distributing the marinade.
How to Grill Teriyaki Chicken
When you are ready to grill, remove the chicken from the marinade to a plate and discard the used marinade.
- Preheat your grill to 350-375ºF
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 10-12 minutes on each side.
- The best way to know if your chicken is fully cooked is to use a thermometer. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165ºF. If you don’t have a thermometer cook the chicken until it is no longer pink inside. My all-time favorite meat thermometer is the Thermapen. It’s super fast and incredibly durable. Another great meat thermometer is the ThermoPop which is a more basic version that works just as well!
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5-7 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute, this will help the chicken to stay nice and juicy!
Can this Teriyaki Chicken be Baked in the Oven?
If you don’t have access to a grill to make this Teriyaki Chicken Recipe, you can cook this in the oven. Heat your oven to 350ºF and bake for 20-25 minutes, until chicken reaches 165ºF or is completely cooked through.
Can I use Chicken Thighs in this Teriyaki Recipe?
You can absolutely use chicken thighs in this Teriyaki Recipe. Chicken thighs will take a little bit longer to grill and come up to temperature. Just follow the recipe the same and marinate for up to 6 hours. Chicken thighs are always great to grill because they come out tender and juicy, leave the skin off or remove it.
Hungry for more? Try some more grilled chicken recipes!
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- BBQ Chicken with Pineapple Salsa Recipe
- Easy Smoked Chicken Legs Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
- BBQ Chicken Kabobs with Bacon and Pineapple Recipe
- Honey Glazed Chicken Wings Recipe
- Sweet and Spicy Grilled Sticky Chicken Recipe
- Ranch Chicken Kabobs Recipe
- Cheesy Grilled Pineapple Chicken Recipe
- Grilled Chicken BLT Salad Recipe
- Grilled Spatchcock Chicken Recipe
Lemon Lime Soda for Tenderizing Chicken
The lemon lime soda in this recipe works twofold. First, it’s a sweetener for the teriyaki flavor for the chicken. Other recipes call for brown sugar or honey, but we use lemon lime soda. Second, the soda tenderizes the chicken! Soda has just enough acidity to break down and tenderize chicken while adding flavor. You’ve got to try it!
Can I use Diet Soda?
I wouldn’t recommend using diet lemon lime soda in this teriyaki chicken recipe because the soda serves two purposes, one being to add a sweet flavor. Diet sodas are less sweet, so they’re not a good idea for this recipe.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 12 oz lemon lime soda
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- In a large zip top bag or plastic container with a lid, combine the 7-UP, soy sauce and vegetable oil.
- Place the chicken in the marinade, seal and place in the refrigerator. Marinade for up to 6 hours, rotating every hour to make sure it is evenly marinaded.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard used marinade.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grill chicken on each side for 10 minutes. Chicken is done when it is no longer pink in the middle and reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Can I use Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce?
Yes, you can use reduce sodium soy sauce in this grilled teriyaki chicken recipe. The flavor will be similar, but it will have less salt.
How do you know when chicken is done cooking?
Chicken breast is done when the internal temperature of chicken reaches 165ºF. It’s best to take the chicken off the grill when it reaches 162-163ºF. The chicken will continue to cook after it’s take off the grill. You can take the chicken off the grill, then let sit under foil to cook to a safe internal temp.
Easy Teriyaki Chicken recipe has just 3 ingredients and makes juicy, tender and flavorful chicken every time! Grilled Chicken Teriyaki recipe perfect for a simple weeknight dinner or grilling with friends and family.