Sweet & Spicy Grilled Sticky Chicken is a perfect dish for those who love the combination of sweet and spicy flavors. Sticky chicken recipe is easy to make and requires only a few ingredients, perfect for a summer barbecue or a family dinner.
To make sweet and spicy Grilled chicken, you will need chicken breasts, honey, soy sauce, garlic, and brown sugar. This spicy chicken recipe creates a sweet and savory dish that is unique and memorable.
Spicy Grilled Sticky Chicken
We love grilling chicken, so I am always on the hunt for great new recipes to try. This one is so fantastic! The sauce is flavorful with a bit of a kick to it and I love how easy it is to make. We usually served it with grilled pineapple, asparagus and a side of steamed rice for a full meal. Every time we have this for dinner there are never leftovers, it is just so delicious!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Grilled Sticky Chicken
Grilling sticky chicken can be a bit tricky, but with a few tips and tricks, you can make it perfect every time. Here are some suggestions to help you achieve juicy, flavorful, and sticky chicken on the grill.
- Marinate the Chicken: Marinating the chicken is essential for adding flavor and tenderness to the meat. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours for maximum flavor.
- Preheat the Grill: Preheating the grill is crucial for ensuring that the chicken cooks evenly and doesn’t stick to the grates. Heat the grill to medium-high heat and oil the grates with a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil. This will create a non-stick surface and prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Use Indirect Heat: Grilled sticky chicken requires a slow and steady cooking process to allow the sauce to caramelize without burning the chicken. Use indirect heat by turning off one side of the grill and placing the chicken on the cooler side. This will allow the chicken to cook evenly without burning.
- Baste Frequently: Basting the chicken with the marinade or sauce is essential for creating a sticky and flavorful glaze. Baste the chicken every 5-10 minutes with a brush or spoon. Be sure to discard any leftover marinade that has come into contact with the raw chicken to prevent cross-contamination.
- Use a Meat Thermometer: Using a meat thermometer is the best way to ensure that the chicken is cooked to the correct temperature. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165°F (74°C) to be safe to eat. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken to get an accurate reading.
Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Ingredients
Chicken breasts: You will need 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Trim off any fats or silver skin as needed. You can also use chicken thighs if you prefer that cut of meat, they will be delicious as well.
Soy sauce: For the base of this marinade, add ½ cup of soy sauce.
Brown sugar: Using ⅓ cup of brown sugar will thicken the glaze and give it a nice depth of flavor.
Honey: Adding in ¼ cup of honey will make the glaze taste sweet and delicious.
Seasonings: You need 2 tsp. each of garlic powder, ground ginger, and onion powder to make this marinade perfectly seasoned.
Hot sauce: Use 2 tsp. of Franks Red Hot Sauce to give this dish the kick of heat it needs. You can also use whatever hot sauce you have on hand, it will be great either way.
Pepper: Add in just ¼ tsp. of pepper to help enhance the flavors in this recipe.
Cornstarch: You will need 2 tsp. of cornstarch to help thicken the marinade so that it sticks to the chicken better.
How to make Spicy Grilled Chicken
Start by cutting your chicken into 6 to 8 pieces to help it grill more quickly. You also get more sauce to meat ratio when doing it like this. If using chicken thighs, you don’t need to do this step.
Then, place your chicken in an airtight container or ziplocked bag and set it aside.
Make the marinade
Next, in a 2 cup measuring cup or small microwave safe bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients (except for the cornstarch). Whisk it together until combined and smooth.
Proceed to put the sauce into the microwave and heat for 3 minutes. The sauce will begin to boil and reduce slightly.
Marinate the chicken
Proceed to pour half of the sauce into the container with the chicken and let it marinate for 2-4 hours in the refrigerator.
Make the sauce
Using the other half of the marinade, take 2 TBSP and add it to a small bowl and combine with the cornstarch.
Whisk together until smooth, and then add it back into the rest of the remaining marinade.
Then, microwave it all for 2 minutes and stir well once it is heated up.
Set the sauce aside and let it rest until it’s time to grill.
Heat the grill to medium heat, and coat your sauce over both sides of the chicken as you cook.
The chicken will be finished cooking when the internal temp has reached 165 degrees F.
I like to reserve a little sauce to brush over the chicken right after it comes off of the grill to help it look more glazed.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serving Suggestions for Spicy Grilled Sticky Chicken
As a Main Course: The chicken can be served as a main course with a side of rice or vegetables. The sticky glaze is a perfect complement to the tender chicken, and the sweet and spicy flavors are sure to be a hit with everyone at the table. Try a sticky rice like this Coconut Rice, or make this tasty fried rice recipe and keep the chicken on the side. Don’t forget the veggies, this garden vegetable salad would be amazing alongside this dish.
In a Salad: Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it to a salad for a healthy and delicious meal. The sweetness of the glaze pairs well with the freshness of the greens, and the spiciness adds a nice kick. Give this chicken salad a try, the spiciness will pair great with the dressing.
In a Wrap: Wrap the chicken in a tortilla with some lettuce, tomato, and avocado for a quick and easy lunch. The flavors of the chicken and glaze are enhanced by the freshness of the vegetables, and the wrap makes it easy to eat on the go.
On a Skewer: Thread the chicken onto skewers and grill for a fun and flavorful appetizer or party food. The sticky glaze caramelizes on the grill, adding even more depth of flavor to the dish. Make a variation of this chicken kabob recipe, even the lemon rice would pair well with this sticky chicken.
SWEET AND SPICY GRILLED STICKY CHICKEN
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 TBSP Frank’s hot sauce any variety
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Prep chicken: Start by cutting your chicken into 6 to 8 pieces to help it grill more quickly. You also get more sauce to meat ratio when doing it like this. If using chicken thighs, you don't need to do this step.
- Then, place your chicken in an airtight container or ziplocked bag and set it aside.
- Make the marinade: Next, in a 2 cup measuring cup or small microwave safe bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients (except for the cornstarch). Whisk it together until combined and smooth.
- Proceed to put the sauce into the microwave and heat for 3 minutes. The sauce will begin to boil and reduce slightly.
- Marinate the chicken: Then, pour half of the sauce into the container with the chicken and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. If you have time, 2-4 hours would give it even more time for the flavors to develop.
- Make the sauce: Using the other half of the marinade, take 2 tablespoons and add it to a small bowl and combine with the cornstarch.
- Whisk together until smooth, and then add it back into the rest of the remaining marinade. Then, microwave it all for 2 minutes and stir well once it is heated up.
- Set the sauce aside and let it rest until it’s time to grill.
- Grill chicken: Heat the grill to medium heat and coat your sauce over both sides of the chicken as you cook. The chicken will be finished cooking when the internal temp has reached 165 degrees F.
- I like to reserve a little sauce to brush over the chicken right after it comes off of the grill to help it look more glazed. Serve immediately and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Possible Variations for Sweet & Spicy Chicken
There are several ways to customize the Sweet & Spicy Grilled Sticky Chicken recipe to suit different tastes or dietary requirements. Here are a few possible variations:
Adjust the Spice Level: The recipe calls for a moderate amount of hot sauce, but you can adjust the spice level up or down depending on your preference. For a milder version, reduce the amount of hot sauce or omit it altogether. For a spicier version, increase the amount of hot sauce or add some red pepper flakes.
Use Different Sweeteners: While the recipe calls for honey, you can use other sweeteners such as maple syrup or agave nectar. Each sweetener will impart a slightly different flavor to the dish, so feel free to experiment and find your favorite.
Substitute the Chicken: If you don’t eat chicken, you can use other proteins such as pork, shrimp, or tofu. Adjust the cooking time accordingly and make sure the internal temperature of the protein reaches a safe level before serving.
What is a Good Meat Thermometer?
A good meat thermometer is key. My all-time favorite meat thermometer is the Thermapen. It’s super fast and incredibly durable. Another great meat thermometer is the ThermoPop, a more basic version that works just as well!
Can I use different cuts of chicken?
Yes! Feel free to adjust this recipe to make sweet and spicy grille chicken wings or even sweet and spicy grilled chicken thighs, depending on what you prefer. The process is similar, but you will need to adjust the cooking time for the cuts you use because they may take longer due to their bigger sizes.
Find even more BBQ recipes here:
- BBQ Chicken Pineapple Kabobs with Bacon
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki with Lemon Rice
- Ranch Chicken Bacon Kabobs
- Best Grilled Steak Recipe Ever
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Easy Grilled Italian Chicken with Vegetables
- Grilled BBQ Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
- Jack Cheese Pineapple Chicken
- Grilled Honey Chicken with Glazed Pineapple
- Grilled Spatchcock Chicken Recipe
Hungry for more? Try some more grilled chicken recipes!
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- BBQ Chicken with Pineapple Salsa Recipe
- Easy Smoked Chicken Legs Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
- BBQ Chicken Kabobs with Bacon and Pineapple Recipe
- Honey Glazed Chicken Wings Recipe
- Ranch Chicken Kabobs Recipe
- Cheesy Grilled Pineapple Chicken Recipe
Sweet & Spicy Grilled Sticky Chicken is easy to make and results in a tender, juicy dish that the whole family is sure to enjoy. Sticky chicken recipe uses a tangy chicken marinate with a nice kick of spice and flavor!