Easy Cheddar Cheeseburgers made with ground beef, cheddar cheese & an amazing blend of seasonings! Fire up the grill and make the best homemade cheeseburgers ever!
Cheeseburgers are a delicious, lip smacking summertime BBQ staple at my house. With only four ingredients, this cheeseburger recipe is quick, easy and flavorful.
Chris here with another fantastic grilling recipe! I got the idea for this recipe after coming home with about forty pounds of ground elk meat one year after a successful hunt in Wyoming.
My wife was not a huge fan of how the ground elk tasted. Since we had so much of the ground elk meat, I had to come up with a way to cook the meat for her that she would actually eat and enjoy. These burgers were a hit!
Grilled Hamburger Recipe
To make the hamburger patties, you are going to need ground beef, your favorite seasoning blend- I included the recipe for mine!, shredded cheese AND sliced cheese.
Don’t forget to have your favorite hamburger buns, condiments and toppings as well.
I like to use sliced cheddar cheese, sliced tomato, sliced red onions, barbecue sauce and mayonnaise. For the buns, I like to use country potato style hamburger buns when I make this recipe.
How To Make Cheeseburgers
To start, preheat your grill to medium high to high heat. If your grill has a temperature gauge, you want it to be around 375 to 400 degrees F.
Form the hamburgers
Next you will need to make the hamburger patties. Hand mix the hamburger, seasoning and shredded cheese in a medium size mixing bowl. You can use a wooden spoon to mix the meat as well, but I’ve found the ingredients mix better by hand.
Hand form the patties to your desired size. For this recipe I divided 1 pound of seasoned meat into four equal parts, to make quarter pound burgers.
Grill the hamburgers
Once your patties are made, place them on your grill, over direct heat. Flip them just once, when the patties no longer stick to the grill. These cheesy burgers will not take long to grill. Once the burgers are done, place one slice a cheese on each burger. Place the burgers on a section of your grill that does not have direct heat or if you can, just turn your grill off. Leave the burgers on the now turned off grill just long enough for the sliced cheese to start melting.
Assemble grilled cheeseburgers
Remove from the grill and serve immediately on your favorite buns, with your favorite condiments and toppings and enjoy.
Can I substitute other meat for the ground beef?
Personally, I have only made this recipe with hamburger, ground elk meat and ground bratwurst. Both add a great flavor and are amazing made into cheeseburgers!
You can also substitute ground turkey or chicken too. If you are planning on using ground turkey or chicken, be aware that they can be leaner than your typical red meats. You will need to adjust the grilling times accordingly, so as not to over cook the meat and dry it out.
Can you cook Cheeseburgers on the stove top?
Yes, you absolutely can. I have made these burgers on the stove top many times. You have to choose which frying pan you use carefully though. As the burgers start to cook, and the shredded cheese starts to melt, if you are not using a nonstick frying pan, or a well seasoned cast iron skillet, the cheese will stick to the bottom of your pan.
Can you freeze burgers that have already been grilled?
Yes, you can freeze any burgers you have left over for up to six months. Make sure to securely seal the leftover burgers in a freezer bag, or an airtight plastic container. To reheat, thaw first and the place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5 minutes, flip over and heat for another minute or two. Another way to reheat your burgers is, wrap the burger in a damp paper towel and place in the microwave for about thirty seconds, flip over and heat for another thirty seconds.
How do I keep my burgers from swelling up in the middle while cooking?
To stop the inevitable swelling up of your burger while grilling, simply use your thumb and press down on the middle of the patty before placing on the grill. The indentation from your thumbprint helps keep the burger flatter after being grilled.
What other types of seasonings can I use?
For this recipe you’ll need 1 tablespoon of an all-purpose BBQ seasoning. I give my own recipe, but some of my favorite commercial seasonings I like to use are Pappy’s Choice Seasoning, Kinder’s Organic Buttery Steakhouse Seasoning, Montreal Steak Seasoning and Mydingers Bar-B-Que Shake.
Easy Cheeseburger Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Homemade BBQ seasoning
- ¾ cup Shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 Slices of your favorite cheese for topping
- 4 Hamburger buns
- Additional Condiments/Toppings like sliced tomato lettuce, red onion, mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles
Homemade BBQ Seasoning Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- ½ Tablespoon Black Pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- Pre heat your grill to medium-high to high heat, around 375 to 400 degrees F.
- Hand mix the ground beef, BBQ rub and shredded cheese in a mixing bowl. Divide the hamburger into 3-4 equal sizes, depending on how big you want your patties. Roll the meat into a ball and flatten to make the patties. For best results, make the patties about the same diameter as your hamburger bun. Use a 1 tsp measuring spoon or your thumb to make a 1/4"-1/2" indentation in the center of each patty.
- Place the patties on the grill, over direct heat. Flip when they no longer stick to the grill, approximately 5 minutes per side.
- When the burgers are done cooking, place a slice of cheese on each patty and let sit on the grill, over indirect heat, for no more than a minute.
- Once the sliced cheese is slightly melted, remove the burgers from the grill and serve immediately on a bun with your favorite toppings/condiments. Enjoy!!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Getting ready for a barbecue? Try these delicious grilling recipes:
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki with Lemon Rice
- Ranch Chicken Bacon Kabobs
- Best Grilled Steak Recipe Ever
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Easy Grilled Italian Chicken with Vegetables
- Grilled BBQ Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
- BBQ Sticky Chicken recipe
- Jack Cheese Pineapple Chicken
- Grilled Honey Chicken with Glazed Pineapple
- Grilled Flank Steak Recipe
Easy Cheeseburger recipe that’s sure to be a big hit at your next barbecue this summer. This quick and simple Seasoned Cheesy, Cheeseburger recipe will make you look like a grill master to your family and friends. Easy Cheddar Cheeseburgers made with ground beef, cheddar cheese & an amazing blend of seasonings! Fire up the grill and make the best homemade cheeseburgers ever!