Double Chocolate Mint Cookies loaded with luscious chocolate and topped with a creamy mint frosting. Delectable mint chocolate cookies that everyone is sure to go crazy over!
While these little grasshopper cookies might remind you of a Thin Mint cookie, they have a similar texture to chocolate chip cookies. This chocolate mint cookie recipe is made with some simple pantry ingredients and results in a chewy, chocolatey heavenly treat!
Double Fudge Mint Cookies
The classic combination of chocolate and mint is so popular that it’s hard to beat. While these cookies are great any time of the year, you’ll probably see them as a great seasonal treat as well. For example, minty chocolate cookies for Christmas sound divine but the green coloring is also perfect for St Patrick’s Day as well. I no longer find the need to buy store-bought cookies to ease my craving for a chocolatey treat, these cookies are just so good!
Helpful tools to make sensational cookies every time!
Here are 2 of my favorite kitchen items I use to make these mint cookies. I actually use these items in nearly every cookie recipe I make, as well as several other types of recipes, so they’re quite versatile.
- First, I line my cookie sheets with a piece of parchment paper. They’re sold in sizes that fit a 12×16 cookie sheet perfectly and enable to cookies to bake well without sticking- and no mess from spraying oil on the cookie sheets!
- The second item is a KitchenAid mixer. I love mine! I have a Bosch as well but I find I use my KitchenAid for cookies. There is a cookie paddle that comes with every mixer that you attach to the mixer. They’re easy to use and help you mix the ingredients uniformly. I also use the metal whisk attachment in this recipe to make the frosting. It whips it up super fast! Add this to your wish list because it’s one of my all-time used small appliances ever!
Chocolate Mint Cookie Ingredients
Flour: You will need to use 1 cup of flour for this cookie recipe.
Cocoa powder: Use ¼ cup of cocoa powder for an added depth of chocolate flavor.
Baking powder: To help the cookies rise nicely as they bake you will need to use 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
Salt: You need ½ tsp salt to help balance the flavors in this dough.
Chocolate chips: Use 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips for rich chocolate flavor in every bite.
Butter: Adding in 5 tablespoons of butter will give the cookies a nice texture and rich taste.
Brown Sugar: Add in ¾ cups of brown sugar will give the cookie a little chewiness and a great depth of flavor.
White sugar: Using ¼ cup granulated sugar will add more sweetness to this chocolatey treat.
Eggs: You will need to use 2 eggs to help bind the dough together well.
Vanilla extract: Add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to provide an enhanced flavor to these cookies.
Powder sugar: For a smooth sweet topping, you will need 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar.
Butter: Add in 2 tablespoons of melted butter for a balanced creamy flavor.
Corn syrup: You need 2 teaspoons of corn syrup for a thick frosting texture and shiny appearance.
Mint extract: Add in 1 teaspoon of mint extract to give the frosting a minty flavor.
Milk: You will need to use 1-2 tablespoons of milk to help thin out this frosting to the perfect consistency.
Food coloring: If desired you can use 2 drops of green food coloring to make the mint frosting more fun in appearance.
Chocolate chips: Use ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips for an extra layer of chocolate goodness.
Butter: Use 1 tablespoon of butter to help thin out the chocolate and provide a wonderful rich flavor throughout the drizzle.
Step by step on how to make Double Fudge Mint Cookies
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Then line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
In a small bowl, whisk to combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set it aside.
In another small bowl, microwave the chocolate chips for 1 ½ minutes and stir until smooth. Set it aside.
In a medium-size bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars until smooth.
Proceed to beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Next, add in the vanilla extract and mix again until blended.
After that, add in the melted chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Now add in the flour mixture and mix until the dough just comes together. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes so that the chocolate can set.
Continue to drop the dough by the rounded tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
In a medium size bowl, combine the power sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, mint extract, and milk. Whisk ingredients until mixture is smooth and lump free. Then add in a couple drops of green food coloring, stir again to combine well.
Once the cookies have cooled for about 10 minutes, spoon about 2 teaspoons of frosting over the top of each cookie. Spread the icing out over the top of the whole cookie.
Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring well between each until smooth and creamy.
Once the frosting has been set for 5-10 minutes, use a spoon to drizzle the fudge over the top.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
DOUBLE FUDGE MINT COOKIES
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 TBSP butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 2 TBSP melted butter
- 2 tsp corn syrup
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 1-2 TBSP milk
- 2 drops green food coloring
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 TBSP butter
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cookie dough: In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave (about 1.5 minutes) stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate medium size bowl, cream together the butter and white and brown sugar until smooth.
- Next, beat in the eggs one at a time and then stir in vanilla extract until well blended. Add in the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
- After that, mix in the bowl of dry ingredients just until everything comes together. Let stand for 10 minutes so the chocolate can set.
- Bake: Proceed to drop rounded tablespoonfuls of cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Mint Frosting: In a medium size bowl, combine the power sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, mint extract, and milk. Whisk ingredients until mixture is smooth and lump free. Then add in a couple drops of green food coloring, stir again to combine well.
- Once cookies have cooled for about10 minutes, spoon about 2 tsp on top of each cookie and spread out over the whole cookie.
- Fudge drizzle: In a small bowl add the chocolate chips and butter, microwave in 30 second intervals until fully melted and creamy.
- Once the frosting has set for about5-10 minutes, using a spoon, drizzle each cookie with the fudge mixture. Serve immediately and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Items that make this recipe easier:
Can I freeze decorated cookies?
Yes, you can! After the frosting has been applied, allow them to set it at room temperature for about an hour so that the frosting can firm up a bit. Then place the cookies in a single layer on a baking sheet and flash freeze until solid (about 1-2 hours). After that, transfer to an airtight container. I recommend laying a sheet of parchment paper between the cookie layers, just in case. Then simply remove and thaw to eat.
How long will frosted cookies be good for?
These cookies will last up to 1 week if you keep your cookies properly stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
How do you keep cookies soft?
The main way and simplest to keep cookies fresh is to seal them in an airtight container, like a resealable freezer bag. There is also a nifty little trick that my mother-in-law taught me, add a piece of bread to the bag. This trick really works! The cookies absorb moisture from the bread and stay soft a couple of days longer than normal. Give it a try, it will blow your mind!
Try some more of our great chocolate mint recipes here!
- CHOCOLATE MINT EASTER EGGS
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MINT COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE MINT COOKIES
- FUDGE CHOCOLATE MINT COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT BREAD
- DARK CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CREAM PIE
- CHOCOLATE DIPPED PEPPERMINT MERINGUES
- MINT CHOCOLATE POKE CAKE
- MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE
- MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP CREAM PIE
- MINT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
Double Chocolate Mint Cookies are made with an amazing brownie cookie base, frosted with a mint flavored icing and drizzled with a delightful chocolate fudge. These incredibly delicious mint chocolate cookies are sure to be a huge hit with family and friends!