Double Chocolate Snack Cake is a wonderfully rich and delicious dessert. This double chocolate cake recipe is made with simple pantry ingredients and comes together in just about 1 hour.
Making this snack cake recipe is so easy, with minimal prep work and less than an hour of baking, you can be enjoying this treat in no time. Serve this chocolate chip cake at your next family function, or for a casual night at home, it is delightful any time of day!
Easy Chocolate Cake
This cake recipe dates back to 2002, long before Pinterest, back when we had to print out recipes and file them in a folder. What I love about this simple treat is that it is a nice light texture, that is because of the unique ingredients. The cake gets amazing texture and moisture from the sour cream and applesauce, making it a tad healthier than other cake recipes. It is a bit more dense than a regular cake, but lighter than brownies and just sweet enough but not overly so. You can top it with a smooth frosting or even hot fudge and whipped cream would taste amazing. No matter how you top it, the cake has incredible flavor is a huge crowd pleaser too.
Why we think you will adore this easy chocolate cake recipe
We have narrowed down our top three reasons why we think this sensational chocolate cake will become a regular go-to recipe in your house!
- Simple ingredients. You do not need much to make this recipe. In fact, the ingredients that you do need are very simple pantry and kitchen staple ingredients. Meaning that you may already have everything you need on hand already.
- It tastes great hot or cold. While this cake is best served warm (like most baked goods) it also tastes great when cold, room temp, or when served the following day. It is delicious any time of the day!
- It only takes an hour from start to finish. With regular cakes, you would be baking and waiting hours for it to cool before frosting but since this cake is best served warm, you can whip it up and have it baked, sliced, and on your plate in as little as an hour.
Double Chocolate Snack Cake Ingredients
Flour: You will need 1 1/2 cups of flour to create the structure for this amazing cake recipe.
Cocoa powder: Adding in 1 cup of cocoa powder helps make this treat nice and chocolatey.
Salt: To help balance all the amazing flavors, use 1 teaspoon of salt.
Baking soda: Use 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to help the cake rise nicely as it bakes.
Brown sugar: You need 2 cups of brown sugar, packed, to give this dessert a great depth of flavor.
Applesauce: A fantastic fat replacer is to use 1 cup of applesauce.
Sour cream: Add in 1 cup of sour cream to make this cake incredibly moist.
Eggs: You will need 4 eggs to give this cake great texture and flavor.
Vegetable oil: Use 1/4 cup of vegetable oil to give this treat the necessary fats to make a moist and delicious cake.
Chocolate chips: For double the chocolatey taste, use 1 cup of chocolate chips, divided.
How to make Double Chocolate Snack Cake
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Then, spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda, mix to combine and set aside.
Next, in a separate medium size bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, applesauce, sour cream, eggs and oil. After that, add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
Then, in another small bowl melt 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute and then stir into the cake batter.
Transfer the cake batter to the prepared cake pan, proceed to sprinkle the top of the cake batter with the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Then, bake for 42-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let the cake cool completely, cut into squares, serve and enjoy.
Recipe can be halved & baked in an 8×8 square pan for 30-33 minutes.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE SNACK CAKE
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips divided
- Prep: Start by preheating the oven to 350degrees F. Then, spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Cake batter: In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda, mix to combine and set aside.
- Next, in a separate medium size bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, applesauce, sour cream, eggs and oil. After that, add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Then, in another small bowl melt 1/2cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute and then stir into the cake batter.
- Bake: Transfer the cake batter to the prepared cake pan, proceed to sprinkle the top of the cake batter with the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Then, bake for 42-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely, cut into squares, serve and enjoy. Recipe can be halved & baked in an 8×8 square pan for 30-33 minutes.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How do you store easy chocolate cake?
This cake should be stored in an airtight container, at room temperature, and it will be good for 3-5 days.
Can I freeze chocolate snack cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake after it has cooled completely. To do this simply place the cake in an airtight container or wrap each sliced piece in plastic wrap before storing in an airtight container. Then when you want a piece you can thaw it on the counter or thaw the entire cake before slicing and serving. This is a great idea for lunch boxes!
How do you melt chocolate chips?
Place a medium-sized saucepan over the stove and fill it with 1-2 inches of water at the bottom. Bring the water to a boil. Add a medium or large-sized glass bowl to the top. It should be able to nestle inside for stability, but the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. Add your chocolate to the bowl and stir until melted before removing it from heat.
Alternatively, you can use the microwave method. Add your chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals in the microwave, stirring between each until smooth.
Love this recipe? Try more amazing and easy cake recipes here!
- Blueberry Pound Cake recipe
- Banana Pound Cake recipe
- Whipped Cream Butterfly Cupcakes
- Death-by Chocolate Cake
- Easy Lemon Cake
- Coca Cola Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Glazed Mini Strawberry Cupcakes
- Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake
- Rootbeer Float Cupcakes
- Orange Creamsicle Cake Bites
- Iced Lemon Bundt Cake
- Key Lime Cake
- Easy Pineapple Bundt Cake
Double Chocolate Snack Cake is a delightful rich and delicious dessert. This double chocolate cake recipe is made with basic pantry ingredients and comes together quickly.
Leave a Reply