Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta with Asparagus made easy with juicy chicken, fresh lemon and vegetables, and a light, creamy sauce. This is the perfect weeknight lemon chicken dinner.
Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta is a lovely weeknight meal. It’s simple, light and incredibly satisfying with flavors that pair well together. The fresh lemon and asparagus are fantastic in this easy chicken pasta dinner.
What is creamy lemon chicken pasta?
It’s a one pot dinner meal that’s as easy to make as it is delicious. With a quick meal like this you can have a tasty (and fancy) looking meal ready in under 30 minutes. With starch, protein, and vegetables all gathered together in one vibrant looking dish. You’re going to love this simple and easy pasta dinner any time of the year, but you have to admit with the vibrant lemon additions it’s a perfect dish to serve in spring or summer.
Creamy Lemon Pasta with Chicken & Asparagus Ingredients
-Spaghetti noodles: We need a box (16ounces) of uncooked spaghetti noodles. You can use regular, whole wheat, or even gluten-free.
-Asparagus: 1 pound of fresh trimmed asparagus spears are necessary for this dish. A trick is to bend each one and let it snap off the wooden-like ends so you’re left with a perfect spear.
-Chicken: We need 3 cups of already cooked and diced chicken. This is a perfect chance to use up leftover chicken you may have on hand.
-Cream cheese: 8 ounces of cream cheese (one block) will give us a creamy sauce. You could also use Neufchatel cheese (like I did) it’s lower in fat and often a little cheaper than regular cream cheese.
-Garlic: 3 cloves of garlic will help to make our dish taste incredible.
-Lemon juice: With 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest every bite will be vibrantly filled with lemon.
-Chicken bullion: 1 chicken bouillon cube will also help to flavor and season our dish.
-Parmesan cheese: We need 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese will be sprinkled on the dish in the end and will help to make it feel complete.
-Reserved Water: Don’t forget to reserve 1 1/2 cups of the water that the noodles were boiled in, we will need it for the sauce.
How to make Creamy Lemon Pasta with Chicken & Asparagus
Cook your spaghetti in a large saucepan as directed on package, using only half of the requested salt. Meanwhile, chop the asparagus into 1/2″- 3/4″ segments. My pasta required 9 minutes to cook.
After 4 minutes, add the chopped asparagus to the boiling pasta, allowing it to cook it for 5 minutes.
Drain the spaghetti and asparagus, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water.
Whisk the reserved water, cream cheese, garlic, lemon juice and bouillon in the sauce pan until smooth.
Add in the chicken and then heat just until warm.
Return the spaghetti to the saucepan with the sauce and then mix lightly.
Cook on medium heat for 3 min. or until it’s heated through, stirring frequently.
Add in lemon zest.
Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
CREAMY LEMON CHICKEN PASTA
- 1 lb. spaghetti uncooked
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus spears trimmed
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken
- 8 oz. block of cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, like I used
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice plus 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of the water noodles were boiled in
- Cook spaghetti in large saucepan as directed on package, using only half the salt. Meanwhile, chop asparagus into 1/2″- 3/4″ segments. My pasta required 9 minutes to cook. After 4 minutes, add the chopped asparagus to the boiling pasta, allowing it to cook it for 5 minutes.
- Drain spaghetti and asparagus, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water. Whisk reserved water, cream cheese, garlic, lemon juice and bouillon in the sauce pan until smooth. Add in chicken and heat just until warm.
- Return spaghetti to saucepan with sauce and mix lightly. Cook on medium heat 3 min. or until heated through, stirring frequently. Add in lemon zest. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long is leftover creamy lemon chicken pasta good for?
For best results, eat leftovers within 3 days. Reheat before eating and keep the leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge for safekeeping.
What does reserved pasta water do?
As pasta cooks in water, it releases some of its starchiness. Reserving and using the water is a great way to add liquid to sauces and to thicken them thanks to that starchy content. Not only that but it helps to enhance the flavors of the dish a bit more as it would taste more concentrated than if you were to use plain water.
Need more Easy Chicken recipes? Here you go!
- Easy Chicken Fried Rice recipe
- HOMEMADE CHICKEN STROGANOFF
- Easy Chicken Curry recipe
- 5 Minute Chicken Salad recipe
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken recipe
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup recipe
- Easy Salsa Chicken recipe
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe
- Best Homemade Chicken Tenders recipe
- 20-minute Chicken Stew recipe
- Best Chicken & Dumplings recipe
- Easy Indian Butter Chicken
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Easy Chicken Cacciatore Bake