Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll made with classic ingredients & rolled to perfection with layers of sweet cream, lemon cake & fresh blueberries! Homemade Swiss roll cake bursting with fresh Spring flavors!
This Swiss roll cake recipe is made with basic ingredients that most of which are already in your kitchen or pantry. The fresh blueberries in the filling of this lemon blueberry cake are simply delightful and make for a lovely, refreshing dessert!
Easy Lemon Cake with Blueberry Filling
It is no secret that my family and I are lovers of all things lemons, what’s not to love about this amazing citrus fruit? When Spring time rolls around, I am prepared and ready with all our favorite lemon recipes. With the addition of fresh juicy blueberries, no dessert stands a chance of lasting long! The fresh citrus flavor, combined with the soft, sweet cake, it’s absolutely irresistible. The creamy blueberry filling takes this cake over the top! Give it a try today and see for yourself how incredibly delicious it is.
Why you’ll love this simple Lemon Cake Recipe
- Easy to make! This lemon blueberry cake is so simple to make. With a little added effort for the rolling, the results are well worth the minimal effort. There is nothing better than an easy dessert recipe, this is one you will want to try.
- Basic ingredients. We use very basic kitchen staple ingredients to make this cake, like flour, lemon juice, baking powder, and sugar. There is a very good chance that you already have most of the ingredients needed for this recipe in your home.
- Simply delicious! The flavors in this cake are heavenly. The basic cake recipe creates a lovely, moist, soft cake. When you add the blueberries and cream cheese filling it really takes it up a notch. Perfect for a summer or spring treat!
Lemon Swiss Roll Cake Ingredients
Eggs: You need 3 eggs to create great taste and texture in this cake recipe.
Sugar: Adding in 1 cup of sugar will make the cake perfectly sweet.
Lemon juice: For a light citrus taste, use 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
Vanilla extract: Use ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract to help enhance all the wonderful flavors.
Flour: The structural base of this cake is 1 cup of flour.
Baking powder: Help the cake rise as it bakes by adding in 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
Salt: Using ¼ teaspoon of salt is a great balance to the flavors in this simple cake recipe.
Powder sugar: You will need about ½ cup of powdered sugar, divided, to give this cake an amazing sweet taste.
Cream Cheese Blueberry Filling
Butter: For a wonderfully rich filling, use 1 stick (½ cup) of butter, softened.
Cream cheese: To make the filling simply heavenly, add in an 8-oz block of cream cheese, softened.
Powder sugar: You will need 2 cups of powdered sugar to sweeten the filling nicely.
Blueberries: Use 1 cup of fresh blueberries, washed, to give the cake even more amazing taste. Additional blueberries are needed for garnish, if desired.
Instructions for how to make Blueberry Lemon Roll Cake
Start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Then, line a 10”x15” jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Also grease the sides of the pan, as well as the parchment paper, with butter.
Next, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the eggs and sugar, for 2 minutes. After that, stir in the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
Then, in a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk together to combine.
Proceed to mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, just until combined, being careful not to overmix.
Now, pour the batter into the pan and spread out, then bake for 9-11 minutes until the center of the cake is set.
Lightly coat a tea towel with about ¼ cup powdered sugar. Then carefully invert the cake onto the tea towel & slowly peel the parchment paper off the bottom of the cake. Dust with nearly all the remaining powdered sugar. Leave a small amount the dust the top of the cake at the end.
Starting at one of the short ends, fold the end of the tea towel over the end of the cake and roll the cake up tightly into the towel. Allow it to cool for 1 hour at room temperature.
In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, blend the softened butter, cream cheese, powder sugar and fresh blueberries until creamy and fluffy.
Proceed to carefully unroll the cake and spread the cream cheese filling on top, then layer on the fresh blueberries.
Slowly roll the cake back up, sprinkle with powdered sugar & garnish with additional blueberries, if desired.
Slice, serve and enjoy!
Lemon Blueberry Cake roll
FOR THE LEMON CAKE
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 TBSP lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar divided
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- additional fresh blueberries for garnish
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 10”x15” jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Grease the sides of the pan as well as the parchment paper with butter.
- Batter: In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, whisk together. Mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture just until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Bake: Spread the batter into the pan and bake for 9-11 minutes until center is set.
- Roll: Lightly coat a tea towel with about 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Carefully invert the cake onto the tea towel & slowly peel the parchment paper off the cake. Dust with nearly all the remaining powdered sugar. (Leave a small amount the dust the top of the cake at the end.)
- Starting at one of the short ends, fold the end of the tea towel over the end of the cake and roll the cake up tightly into the towel. Allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Blueberry filling: In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, blend the softened butter, cream cheese, powder sugar and fresh blueberries until creamy and fluffy.
- Assemble: Carefully unroll the cake and spread the cream cheese filling on top, then layer on the fresh blueberries.
- Slowly roll the cake back up. Sprinkle with powdered sugar & garnish with additional blueberries, if desired. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long is this Lemon Roll Cake good for?
This cake will be good for 3-4 days, if stored properly. To keep your cake as fresh as possible it should be kept in an airtight container. Because of the cream cheese filling, you will want this cake stored in the fridge.
How do you soften cream cheese?
- Microwave it! Just 20 seconds or so in the microwave will sufficiently soften cream cheese. Be sure to remove the foil packaging first and to place the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl.
- Hot towel wrap! This is what I tend to do most often. All you do is get a clean kitchen rag, get it soaking wet with hot water, then ring it out quickly and wrap the hot towel around the foil package of cream cheese. It takes just a few minutes and it’s softened!
- Let it sit out! If you can plan ahead, the absolute easiest way to soften cream cheese is just to let it sit on the counter for an hour or two. Easy!
What are the Best Types of Measuring Spoons?
Throughout my decades cooking & baking, I’ve come to like some measuring spoons much more than others. Here are the types I like:
- Use measuring spoons with one side rounded and the other side oblong. These are important for fitting the measuring spoon inside small jars of spices!
- Use measuring spoons that can be detached from each other. Most often when you buy measuring spoons, they’re sold in sets, with all 5-6 grouped together. I have a few sets like that! But most often, I find myself reaching for the ones I’ve separated. So much so that those are the only ones I buy now!
- Use metal measuring spoons. Don’t even bother with plastic. They can warp & break much more easily than metal.
- Forego the fancy measuring spoons. I know, they’re so cute. But often they’re thicker, heavier and have more edges and ridges, which just makes the cooking process more cumbersome. Buy them and put them on display somewhere in your kitchen, but don’t actually use them to cook.
Love cake as much as we do? Give more great recipes a try here:
- Orange Chiffon Cake
- Easy Zucchini Cake
- Milky Way Cake
- Buttermilk Banana Cake
- Pumpkin Poke Cake
- Easy Apple Spice Cake
- Strawberries and Cream Cake
- Raspberry Chocolate Cake
- Coca-Cola Cake
- Oatmeal Cake
- Mandarin Orange Cake with Pineapple Frosting
- Cookies & Cream Poke Cake
- S’mores Poke Cake
- Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake
Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll is made easily with basic pantry ingredients & rolled with layers of sweet cream & fresh blueberries! This Homemade Swiss roll cake is packed with amazing flavors that remind me of Spring time!
Not only was this easy to make but it also came out fantastic! I really enjoy the blueberry/lemon flavor combo!
So glad to hear Gina!!
Blueberry and lemon is one of my favorite flavor combos. This is such a fun dessert and so delicious!