Praline Apple bundt cake is made with applesauce, fresh apples & a lovely blend of Fall spices. Delicious apple cake topped with a praline frosting made with butter, brown sugar and pecans.
Autumn is the perfect time for apples and cinnamon so why not enjoy a fabulous apple cinnamon bunt cake at your next family gathering or holiday feast? This cake sounds super fancy but it’s so easy to make that it’s practically foolproof. Which, coincidently is just another one of the reasons why we love it so much!
Apple Bundt Cake with Praline Pecan Frosting
This fresh apple bundt cake uses both applesauce as well as fresh apples to give your a moist and flavorful cake in every bite. The pecan praline frosting is cooked on the stovetop to bring it to the perfect consistency and is so easy to whip together that it comes together in minutes flat. It’s pretty similar to my caramel frosting recipe so if you like this one, you should give that one a try soon too!
Bundt Cake Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need:
-Oil: One cup of vegetable or canola oil will give our cake fats needed to turn out perfectly.
-Applesauce: You will need to use ½ cup of applesauce. I used sweetened, but unsweetened works fine too.
-Sour cream: This is going to make our cake richer and moister. We need ½ cup of sour cream in the batter, but plain unflavored Greek yogurt will work too.
-Eggs: To help our cake get the perfect leavening and binding, we need 3 large eggs, lightly beaten.
-Vanilla: You will need 1 tablespoon of vanilla to help flavor our cakes. A higher quality vanilla will be even more flavorful, but you can use what you have on hand.
-Brown sugar: Giving us sweetness and depth of flavor thanks to the molasses is 2 cups of brown sugar. Light or dark varieties will both work fine.
-Leavening agents: You will need 3 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of baking soda to get a great leaving and rise from your cake. This keeps it lighter and fluffier.
-Salt: Adding ½ teaspoon of this natural flavor enhancer will help to make the other flavors in this dish really shine through.
-Spices: Adding in 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and ½ teaspoon of nutmeg will help to flavor the cake wonderfully and give it a great aroma too.
-Flour: 3 cups of all-purpose flour will be the base of this cake, although other flours might work, I haven’t tried them to know how it would turn out
-Apples: You’ll need 3 cups of chopped and peeled apples. A nice firm apple works best like Honey Crisp, Gala, and Granny Smith.
-Pecans: I like a lot of pecans in my cake, but you can omit the requested 1 ½ cups of chopped pecans if desired.
For the Pecan Praline Frosting, you will need:
-Butter: You will need ¼ cup of butter (salted or unsalted) and the butter works best when melted.
-Brown sugar: You will need 1 cup of light brown sugar, firmly packed. Dark brown sugar may also be used.
-Heavy cream: Adding richness to our frosting is ¼ cup of heavy cream. This makes it taste really good!
-Powdered sugar: 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar will add more sweetness and help to thicken the frosting slightly.
-Pecans: If desired you can mix ½ cup of chopped pecans into the glaze for a better flavor.
How to make an Apple Bundt Cake
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease your bundt cake with shortening and dust well with flour, making sure to coat the entire inside of the pan. This will prevent the cake from sticking.
Combine the oil, applesauce, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar, in a large mixing bowl.
In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
Mix the flour mixture into the sugar one but do not overmix.
Fold in the chopped apples and pecans until just combined.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt pan and place it on the middle rack in the middle of the oven. Bake for 45 minutes and check to see if the cake is done by testing it with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the cake is finished. If not, add 5-10 minutes to the bake time and check again.
When the cake has finished baking, remove it from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before running a butter knife along the sides of the cake to loosen it from the pan and then flip the cake onto a cooling rack, gently shaking it to loosen it as you go.
Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
Pecan Praline Frosting:
In a saucepan over medium heat, add your butter, brown sugar, and cream.
When the mixture comes to a boil, cook for one minute before turning down the heat low and cook for an additional minute.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the powdered sugar.
Add in your nuts again and stir.
For a runny icing, pour the frosting over the cake when it is still warm.
For a thicker frosting, use a whisk to beat the icing until cool. This may change the color of the frosting as you whip it.
Pour the frosting over the cake and allow it to drip down the sides. Serve with your favorite beverage & enjoy!
I’ve used many a bundt cake pan over the years and really prefer the Nordic Ware brand. They’re strong & solid with a long lasting non-stick coating. The Anniversary style is a classic bundt pan with a minimum 10 cup capacity, which is standard.
Incredible Apple Praline Bundt Cake
Apple Bundt Cake:
- 1 cup canola oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups apples peeled & diced
- 1 ½ cup pecans chopped
Pecan Praline Frosting:
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- ½ cup pecans chopped
Apple Bundt Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease the bundt cake with shortening, then dust well with flour, making sure entire inside of pan is greased and floured so the cake will not stick.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oil, apple sauce, sour cream, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, mix well.
- Mix flour into the sugar mixture, but don’t overmix.
- Fold the apples and pecans in just until combined.
- Pour the cake into the pan and place in the middle of the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes and check if it is done by sticking a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it still not done, bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes.When the cake has finished baking, remove from the oven and sit on a cooling rack.
- Let the cake sit for 5 minutes, then slide a knife down the side, careful not to cut the cake. Gently shake the cake until it is loose.Flip upside down on a cake stand or plate. Let the cake cool completely.
Pecan Praline Frosting:
- Add the butter, brown sugar and cream to a saucepan and cook over medium heat. When it comes to a boil, continue cooking for 1 minute. Turn down to low and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sifted powdered sugar.
- Add the nuts and stir.
- For a runny icing, while the frosting is still hot, pour over the cake.
- For a thicker frosting, using a whisk, beat the icing till it cools a bit. (This may change the color of the frosting a bit.)
- Pour the frosting around the top of the cake, letting it drip as it wants. Cool, slice & enjoy!
How long is frosted apple bundt cake good for?
This cake should last up to 5 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. You could also choose to freeze the cake (unforsted) for up to 3 omnths in an airithgt conianer. You can freeze it after frosting, but the frosting will sweat as t thaws.
How do I keep my bundt cake from sticking?
It is super important to really grease your bundt cake pan very well. First grease with shortening, making sure to get into every little crevice. Then sprinkle flour over the crisco. Tip the pan and bang slightly to move shake the flour to coat the entire inside of the pan.
More apple filled recipes to enjoy
- APPLE HAND PIE RECIPE
- BROWN SUGAR FRIED APPLES
- SNICKERDOODLE APPLE PIE
- BEST SNICKERDOODLE APPLE COBBLER
- SPICED CARAMEL APPLE CIDER
- APPLE PIE QUICK BREAD
- CARAMEL APPLE NACHOS
- HOW TO MAKE APPLE PIE FILLING
- FROSTED APPLESAUCE CAKE
- PUFF PASTRY APPLE TURNOVERS
- GLAZED APPLE WALNUT BREAD
- APPLE DUMP CAKE
- APPLE CINNAMON MONKEY BREAD
- CARAMEL APPLE POKE CAKE
- MINI APPLE PIES
This cake is full of apples, cinnamon and pecans. It is topped with a praline frosting made with brown sugar, butter and cream. Some of the icing soaks into the cake and the other makes a nice thick frosting for double the goodness!