This classic Sweet Potato Casserole is the best version we’ve ever tried! Made with canned yams and marshmallows on top, this baked casserole is perfect for Thanksgiving dinner.
We have tried quite a few sweet potato recipes that are absolutely delicious, but if you’re looking for the traditional, classic version of Sweet Potato Casserole, this is the BEST! You will find that this marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole goes perfectly with everything else at your Thanksgiving dinner. Give it a try this holiday season and you will be pleasantly surprised by just how incredible it tastes. You may even be convinced to eat sweet potato casserole more than once a year!
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS
The base of the casserole is made with canned yams, evaporated milk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla and cinnamon. Spread the mixture into a 9X13 and then add the topping. The topping is made with butter, brown sugar and chopped walnuts. Once the casserole is almost completely baked, sprinkle marshmallows on top and stick back in the oven for a couple of minutes until the marshmallows are gooey and melted. Absolutely delicious!
WHY WE THINK YOU WILL LOVE THIS APPLE SWEET POTATO RECIPE
In case you needed more convincing to give this dish a try, here are a few reasons why we think you should.
- It’s so easy. We start with canned sweet potatoes (yams) and end up with a casserole that is hard to beat. It only takes a few minutes to add the other ingredients.
- It is a comforting dish. As you would expect for any sweet potato casserole, these mashed sweet potatoes are comforting and tasty. A perfect experience for your meal. The leftovers taste great the next day too if you are lucky enough to have some saved for later.
- You can make this in advance. Just prepare the recipe in the dish before covering and placing into the fridge for up to a day in advance. When you are ready to bake, allow the casserole to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes as the oven preheats before baking and then add the marshmallows as directed.
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potatoes – The recipe calls for a 29 ounce can of sweet potatoes. Make sure to drain them first. You can use two 15 ounce cans if you prefer. Often the cans will say “Yams”, but they are actually sweet potatoes!
Evaporated milk – Just 1/2 cup of evaporated milk will make the sweet potatoes rich and creamy. If you don’t have evaporated milk, you can use regular milk.
Butter – For best results, use real butter. Make sure the butter is softened to room temperature before adding to the other ingredients.
Sugar – A little bit of sugar will sweeten up the casserole just a little bit more. If you don’t have as much of a sweet tooth, you can reduce the sugar or leave it out.
Eggs – Two large eggs will help to bind everything together and bake up quite nicely.
Salt – Just a little bit of salt will help to bring out all of the other flavors.
Vanilla – A teaspoon of vanilla adds an extra splash of flavor to the casserole.
Cinnamon – The recipe calls for just a half teaspoon of cinnamon, but I actually really love to add a little bit of extra. Totally up to you!
Marshmallows – Don’t leave the mini marshmallows off the top. This is the best part of the whole dish! Although you really can leave them off and the casserole will still be pretty sweet and delicious.
Butter – You will need a whole cup of butter for the topping, but I promise those calories are worth it!
Brown sugar – For best results, make sure the brown sugar is soft and fresh.
Walnuts – Chopped walnuts add a little bit of crunch to the dish. Feel free to add more if you’d like!
How to make Sweet Potato Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350°.
Drain the can of yams and place them in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat them until smooth. Add the evaporated milk, softened butter, sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon and mix until well combined. Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
For the topping, add the butter, brown sugar, and walnuts to a small pot and stir and melt together. Pour the topping mixture over the sweet potato mixture, spreading it out as evenly as you can.
Bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes of baking, take the dish out and sprinkle the marshmallows over the entire dish evenly. You can use the entire bag, or less if you prefer. Turn the oven to broil and return the dish to the oven to let the marshmallows brown, about 1-2 minutes. Stay right by the oven to watch them brown to ensure they don’t burn.
Serve the casserole immediately and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 29 oz can yams
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Drain the can of yams and place them in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat them until smooth. Add the evaporated milk, softened butter, sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon and mix until well combined. Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- For the topping, add the butter, brown sugar, and walnuts to a small pot and stir and melt together. Pour the topping mixture over the sweet potato mixture, spreading it out as evenly as you can.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of baking, take the dish out and sprinkle the marshmallows over the entire dish evenly. You can use the entire bag, or less if you prefer. Turn the oven to broil and return the dish to the oven to let the marshmallows brown, about 1-2 minutes. Stay right by the oven to watch them brown to ensure they don’t burn.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long can you store sweet potato casserole?
You can keep leftovers in the fridge for about 4-5 days. They warm up deliciously in the microwave in about 20-30 seconds!
ARE YAMS AND SWEET POTATOES THE SAME THING?
Nope. Yams are usually harder to find in grocery stores and feature a white interior, while sweet potatoes are much easier to find in stores and are filled with orange color inside. Actual yams and sweet potatoes taste pretty differently. The tricky part is that most of the canned “yams” at the grocery store are actually sweet potatoes. Are you confused yet? Me too! Basically if you are using fresh yams vs. fresh sweet potatoes, it makes a difference. This recipe calls for canned sweet potatoes which are usually called yams – so any type of canned yams or sweet potatoes will work just fine!
NEED MORE THANKSGIVING RECIPES? WE’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
- PUMPKIN SLAB PIE
- FESTIVE CRANBERRY JELL-O
- BEST HOMEMADE THANKSGIVING STUFFING
- TURKEY POT PIE RECIPE
- BROWN SUGAR WHIPPED CREAM
- NO BAKE MARSHMALLOW PUMPKIN PIE
- PUMPKIN DINNER ROLLS
- CREAMY CRANBERRY MOUSSE
- BEST MASHED POTATOES RECIPE
- PECAN PIE BARS
- HOMEMADE CREAMED CORN
- BEST HOMEMADE CARAMELS RECIPE
- EASY 30-MINUTE DINNER ROLLS
This is the best Sweet Potato Casserole for Thanksgiving dinner! Made with canned yams and marshmallows on top, this baked casserole is absolutely perfect.