Southwestern Chicken Verde Soup is a flavorful homemade chicken soup made easy in under an hour! Tender chicken, beans, corn & broth all combine with salsa verde for a great Southwestern soup!
Chicken verde soup is a healthy and hearty combination of chicken and beans with a zesty salsa verde taste. Making this amazing chicken soup with corn is so simple, you can even use a rotisserie chicken to make it even easier!
Southwestern Chicken Verde Soup
A friend of mine shared an amazing recipe for a southwestern-style chicken soup on social media recently. I made a few changes because my taste preference is slightly different, the final results were incredible! Over the years I have tried a ton of broth-based chicken soups and I have to say this has become one of our favorites. This soup recipe is so easy to make, with a few minutes of prep work you can have your soup cooking in no time. You can also add a variety of toppings to suit your tastes as well, get creative and your soup dish is sure to be amazing!
Salsa Verde Chicken Soup Ingredients
Chicken: You need 3 cups of diced chicken, cooked. A great way to save time is to use a rotisserie chicken or make some in the crockpot earlier that day or the night before.
Olive oil: Using 1 tbsp. of olive oil to cook the onions in.
Onion: Adding in 1/2 cup of chopped onion gives this soup great flavor. You can also use 1 tsp of onion powder if you want to simplify this step and save yourself some time.
Salsa verde: You need 1 cup of Salsa Verde, this is equal to about 1/2 the jar.
Chicken broth: For the base of this delicious soup recipe, use 2 14.5-ounce cans of chicken broth, which is equal to about 3 cups.
White beans: Add in 2 14-ounce cans of white beans, drained, for some great additional protein and nutrients to this soup.
Corn: For more great flavor, include 1 14-ounce can of whole kernel corn, drained.
Topping ideas: When you are serving this soup, feel free to add some sour cream, cilantro, avocado slices, lime wedges and or cheese to top off this great soup dish. Another great addition is serving tortilla chips on the side too.
Easy how to make Southwestern Chicken Verde Soup
Cook the chicken in the oven, a crockpot or use a store bought rotisserie chicken.
Then, chop the onion into small pieces.
Get your beans and canned corn opened and drained as well.
In a medium to large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Toss in the chopped onion and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until softened.
Then, add in the cooked chicken, salsa verde, chicken broth, white beans and corn. Continue to heat until soup almost comes to a boil, this should be 10 minutes or so.
Proceed to turn the heat down to low and simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes.
Serve immediately, with your choice of toppings and tortilla chips on the side.
Southwestern Chicken Verde Soup
- 3 cups Shredded Chicken cooked
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 1 cup Salsa verde this is equal to about 1/2 the jar.
- 29 oz Chicken broth which is equal to about 3 cups
- 28 oz white beans two, 14.5 oz cans, drained
- 14 oz whole kernel corn drained
- Topping ideas: our cream, cilantro, avocado slices, lime wedges and or cheese to top off this great soup dish. Another great addition is serving tortilla chips on the side too.
- Cook the chicken in the oven, a crockpot or use a store bought rotisserie chicken.
- Get your beans and canned corn opened and drained as well.
- In a medium to large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Toss in the chopped onion and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Then, add in the cooked chicken, salsa verde, chicken broth, white beans and corn. Continue to heat until soup almost comes to a boil, this should be 10 minutes or so.
- Proceed to turn the heat down to low and simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately, with your choice of toppings and tortilla chips on the side. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I make this soup vegetarian or vegan?
You definitley can make this a meatless soup. Start by leaving out the chicken and swap chicken broth for vegetable broth. To replace the chicken consider adding another can of beans, or some of your favorite veggies. Zucchini or squash would be great in this soup. Chop the veggie into cubes and add them in when you start to simmer the soup, so they do not get too soggy.
How long will chicken verde soup last?
It can be stored in the fridge for up to 6 days in an air-tight container. To reheat simply place it in a pot on the stove and stir until warmed through or reheat it by the bowl’s worth in the microwave.
Can you freeze verde chicken soup?
Yes you can freeze this soup, it freezes beautifully. Simple let the soup cool completely, then package in an airtight container and it will last up to 3 months. When you are ready to serve, defrost in the refrigerator or heat on the stove until defrosted and hot.
If you enjoyed this soup recipe, try some of our other favorites!
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- French Onion Tomato Soup
- Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup
- Chicken Alfredo Soup
- Three Cheese Soup
- Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup
- Crockpot Ham and Bean Soup
- Cheesy Tomato Soup
Southwestern Chicken Verde Soup is a delicious dish that is packed with so many delightful flavors. This hearty and filling chicken salsa verde soup is a great weeknight meal, minimal prep work and dinner ready in under 1 hour!
This was delicious, hearty and so easy – especially when rotisserie chicken is used! Very forgiving as well in terms of what you can add. We sautéed garlic along with the onions and added some cumin as well. Your suggested toppings were perfect along with a minced jalapeño topping for crunch and spice! Thank you!
So glad you liked it Sheri!