Easy Cinnamon Coffee Cake made with pantry ingredients & topped with a delightful cinnamon brown sugar streusel. Breakfast cake recipe that’s simply delicious and pairs perfectly with your morning coffee.
Making cinnamon breakfast cake is so easy too, under 10 minutes of prep time and under 1 hour of baking, you will have this sensational cake to enjoy! Another great thing about this breakfast cake recipe is the ingredients are so basic, you most likely have everything you need in your kitchen right now!
What is coffee cake?
This super easy treat has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl. It is not too sweet, but the cinnamon sugar topping gives it a nice balance of sweet with the fluffy cake. It is so perfect for brunches, casual weekend breakfasts, breakfast buffet events and more! Made with a fluffy yellow cake base and topped with cinnamon sugar, every slice is warm, inviting and perfectly sweetened. Unlike traditional cakes with frosting and glazes, this one is simple and perfect for a morning brunch.
Why we think you will love this breakfast cake recipe!
We have narrowed down our top three reasons why we think this sensational breakfast will become a regular go-to recipe in your house!
- Simple ingredients. You do not need much to make this recipe. In fact, the ingredients that you do need are very simple pantry staple ingredients. Meaning that you may already have everything you need on hand already.
- It only takes an hour from start to finish. With regular cakes, you would be baking and waiting hours for it to cool before frosting but since this cake is best served warm, you can whip it up and have it baked, sliced, and on your plate in as little as an hour.
- It tastes great hot or cold. While this cake is best served warm (like most baked goods) it also tastes great when cold, room temp, or when served the following day. It is delicious any time of the day!
Simple Coffee Cake Ingredients
For the cake, you will need:
Butter: Use 4 tablespoons of butter to give the cake some needed fats to be moist and delicious.
Sugar: For a lovely balance of sweetness, you will want 1 cup of granulated sugar.
Eggs: You will use 2 eggs that have already been beaten in a separate bowl for this cake recipe.
Milk: Use 1 cup of milk to get the batter to the right consistency.
Flour: You will need 2 cups of all-purpose flour for the base of this amazing cake.
Baking powder: Adding in 3 teaspoons of baking powder will make the cake puff up nicely as it bakes.
Salt: You will want 1/2 teaspoon of salt to help enhance the flavors in this cake well.
For the topping, you will need:
Brown sugar: Use 1/2 cup of brown sugar to make the topping sweet and flavorful.
Butter: Adding in 1 tablespoon of melted butter will get the topping to the right texture
Cinnamon: You will want 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to help season the topping well.
Flour: Use 1 tablespoon of flour to help thicken the cinnamon sugar mixture to look more like streusel.
Powdered Sugar + Hot Water: For the easy glaze, you’ll just need to whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar and 2-3 TBSP hot water. That’s it! Drizzle on top of the cake and you’re good to go!
How to make Easy Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
Next, spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
In a medium size bowl, melt the butter in the microwave and then add in the milk and sugar, stir to combine.
Then, in a separate small bowl, crack your two eggs and beat together with a fork. Then pour it to the butter and sugar mixture.
Next, add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir well to combine.
Pour into the greased cake pan and set aside.
Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, flour and the melted butter, stir to combine.
Then, sprinkle on top of uncooked cake to cover the whole cake.
Put in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
Slice, serve warm and enjoy!
What to serve with cinnamon cake
This cake recipe goes great with any of your regular morning favorites. From fresh fruits to orange juice, coffee, or even a tall glass of milk. If desired you could even serve a warm slice of breakfast cake with vanilla ice cream for an after dinner dessert. You are in for a real treat with this incredible breakfast cake!
Easy Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 TBSP hot water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Next, spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, melt the butter in the microwave and then add in the milk and sugar, stir to combine.
- Then, in a separate small bowl, crack your two eggs and beat together with a fork. Then pour it to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Next, add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Pour into the greased cake pan and set aside.
- Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, flour and the melted butter, stir to combine.
- Then, sprinkle on top of uncooked cake to cover the whole cake.
- Put in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Whisk powdered sugar and hot water until smooth, then drizzle it over slightly cooled cake. Slice, serve warm and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
How long is this Easy Cinnamon Coffee Cake good for?
This cake is best tasting when served fresh, but you can keep it stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-5 days. Reheat a slice on a plate in the microwave for about 30 seconds for a fresher warm taste.
Can I freeze coffee cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake after it has cooled completely. To do this simply place the cake in an airtight container or wrap each sliced piece in plastic wrap before storing in an airtight container. Then when you want a piece you can thaw it on the counter or thaw the entire cake before slicing and serving. This is a great idea for lunch boxes!
Can I add berries to coffee cake?
Absolutely! Feel free to add in up to one cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen) or diced fresh strawberries, you’re sure to love the results!
More delicious breakfast recipes like this
- RASPBERRY CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE
- CRANBERRY COFFEE CAKE
- PECAN COFFEE CAKE
- PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE
- EASY PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE
- CRANBERRY CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE
- BANANA CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE
Made from scratch and made to be fluffy, spiced, and sweet, this breakfast cake recipe is sure to become your favorite part of your morning routine.
Amber Brady says
Cake for breakfast! Heck yes! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #25!<br /><br />~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!<br />http://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com