Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are a quick & easy weeknight dinner that the whole family is sure to enjoy! Flavorful sloppy joe mix is piled on top of Texas toast garlic bread and topped with a slice of melty cheese.
These Sloppy Joes are an amazing easy weekday dinner that is family friendly and comes together fast! Full of flavor this dish combines an easy, flavorful sloppy joe mix that gets piled on top of Texas toast garlic bread and topped with a slice of melty cheese. This simple sloppy joe recipe is a hit in my house and has become a weekly staple!
Quick & Easy Weeknight Dinner Idea
These Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are a delicious twist on the classic sandwich that everyone loves. The combination of ground beef, onions, garlic, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce results in a sweet and savory flavor that is sure to please your taste buds. You can also customize this recipe to your liking by adding your favorite toppings, such as cheese, pickles, or jalapenos. You can also serve it on regular bread or buns if you prefer.
Kids also love sloppy joes, and this recipe is no exception! The combination of soft Texas toast and flavorful meat sauce is sure to be a hit with even the pickiest eaters. It’s a parent favorite too because this meal is easy to make, perfect for those busy weeknights with after school activities. Try it tonight and see for yourself!
Variations of Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are a classic dish that can be enjoyed by anyone. However, sometimes it’s fun to mix things up and add a little variety to the recipe. Here are a few variations of the classic recipe that you can try:
- Vegetarian Alternatives: For those who prefer a meat-free diet, there are several vegetarian alternatives to the classic recipe. One option is to substitute the ground beef with a meatless alternative such as crumbled tofu or tempeh. Another option is to use a combination of vegetables such as mushrooms, onions, and peppers to create a hearty and flavorful filling.
- Spicy Twists: If you like your food with a little kick, try adding some spice to your Texas Toast Sloppy Joes. One way to do this is to add a few dashes of hot sauce or chili powder to the filling. Another option is to top your sandwich with sliced jalapenos or pepper jack cheese for an extra spicy twist.
- Cheese Varieties: Cheese lovers can experiment with different types of cheese to add a unique flavor to their Texas Toast Sloppy Joes. Some popular options include cheddar, Swiss, and provolone.
Ingredients for Sloppy Joes on Texas Toast
Ground beef: For the main protein and base of this dish, you will need 1 pound of lean ground beef.
Onion: Add in ½ cup of diced onion to give the meat mixture great flavor and a subtle sweet taste.
Bell peppers: Using ⅓ cup of diced green bell pepper and ⅓ cup of diced red bell pepper adds a pop of color and delicious taste to this dish.
Garlic: You need 2 cloves of garlic, minced, for an earthy and flavorful addition to this meat mixture.
Ketchup: To achieve the classic sloppy joe taste and texture, add in ½ cup of ketchup.
Chili powder: 1 tsp of chili powder adds an aromatic and savory spice that creates a wonderful flavor profile in this dish.
Tomato paste: Help thicken this dish up by adding in 1 ½ TBSP of tomato paste.
Worcestershire sauce: Adding ½ TBSP of Worcestershire sauce gives the meat mixture a deeply unique and savory flavor.
Brown sugar: Help sweeten this dish up by adding 2 TBSP of brown sugar.
Water: Use ¾ cup of water to create the perfect consistency for the meat mixture.
Texas toast: You need 8 slices of frozen garlic Texas toast for the sandwich part of this meal.
Cheese: 4 slices of Colby jack cheese, divided, will be a delicious topping for each sloppy joe.
Step by step on how to make Sloppy Joes
To begin, get the oven preheating to 350°F.
Then, chop the onion and bell peppers into small chunks. If you are using fresh garlic, mince that as well.
Next, in a large skillet over medium high heat, add the ground beef, onion, and bell peppers. Cook these ingredients until the beef is browned and crumbled. Once cooked, drain the grease.
Then, stir in the minced garlic, ketchup, chili powder, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and water. Continue to cook over medium-to-medium high heat until the mixture thickens.
Meanwhile, place the pieces of Texas toast on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for about 3-4 minutes, just until the bread thaws and is soft. Then remove the bread from the oven.
Assemble & bake
Now, using a spoon, make a large indent in each piece of bread and then spoon some sloppy joes mix into the indent on each slice of Texas toast.
Slice the Colby jack cheese in half diagonally and place one slice of cheese on top of each sloppy joe. B
Place the sloppy joes in the oven and bake again for another 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Let cool for a couple of minutes, then serve, and enjoy!
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion diced
- ⅓ cup green bell pepper diced
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ TBSP tomato paste
- ½ TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 8 slices frozen garlic Texas toast
- 4 slices colby jack cheese
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Shop the onion and bell peppers into small chunks. If you are using fresh garlic, mince that.
- Cook: In a large skillet over medium high heat add the ground beef, onion, and bell peppers. Cook until the beef is browned and crumbled. Drain the grease.
- Stir in the garlic, ketchup, chili powder, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and water. Cook over medium to medium high heat until the mixture thickens.
- Toast: Meanwhile, place the Texas toasts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 3-4 minutes just until the bread thaws and is soft. Remove the bread from the oven.
- Assemble & bake: Using a spoon make a large indent in each piece of bread. Spoon the sloppy joe mix into the indent on each slice of Texas toast. Slice the Colby jack cheese in half diagonally. Place one slice of cheese on top of each sloppy joe.
- Bake for another 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted. Let cool for a couple of minutes, then serve, and enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
To store Texas Toast Sloppy Joes, it is recommended to place them in an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to 3 days. When reheating, it is best to use a microwave or an oven. To use a microwave, place the Sloppy Joes in a microwave-safe dish and heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. To use an oven, preheat to 350°F and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Tips for achieving the perfect Texas Toast for Sloppy Joes
To achieve the perfect Texas Toast for Sloppy Joes, it is recommended to use thick slices of bread and toasting them until they are golden brown. It is also important to spread a generous amount of butter on each slice before toasting. This will give the bread a crispy texture and a rich, buttery flavor that pairs well with the Sloppy Joes. This is why using Texas Toast for this dish is perfect, it is already buttered, it is thick and sturdy!
Serving Suggestions for Sloppy Joes
Side Dishes: Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are a filling and hearty meal on their own, but they can be even more satisfying when served with a side dish. Some great options include:
These side dishes provide a nice contrast to the meaty and saucy Sloppy Joes. The fries add a crispy texture, while the coleslaw and potato salad provide a refreshing and creamy side to balance out the richness of the dish. Baked beans are a classic side that complement the Sloppy Joes’ savory flavors.
Toppings: Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are delicious on their own, but toppings can take them to the next level. Here are some popular options:
- Diced onions
Shredded cheese is a classic topping that adds a creamy and melty texture to the Sloppy Joes. Diced onions and pickles provide a crunchy and tangy contrast to the meaty and saucy flavor. Jalapenos add a spicy kick that can be balanced out with some cool and creamy avocado or sour cream.
What are alternative names for Sloppy Joes in different regions?
In Wisconsin, Sloppy Joes are often referred to as “loose meat sandwiches.” Other regions may have different names for this classic sandwich, such as “barbecue sandwiches” or “slushburgers.” However, regardless of the name, the key ingredients of Sloppy Joes remain the same: ground beef, tomato sauce, and a variety of seasonings and spices.
For more easy dinner ideas, try more of our favorite recipes here:
- Walking Taco Casserole
- Easy Slow Cooker Sweet Pork
- Mexican Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Easy Salsa Chicken
- Cheesy Beef & Zucchini Casserole
- Chicken Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Glazed Pork
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
- Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas
- Easy Garlic Pasta
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are a wonderful and easy dish that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends! These sloppy joes come together fast, the meat mixture is thick and flavorful and it gets piled on top of buttery rich toast, topped with a slice of melted cheese!