Iced Lemon Loaf is made with a combination of fresh lemon juice and zest, resulting in a tart and tangy flavor that is balanced out by a sweet glaze. This lemon pound cake is soft, moist, easy to make and requires only a few simple ingredients.
To make this lemon bread recipe you need flour, sugar, eggs, butter, and of course, lemon juice and zest. Once baked, the lemon loaf is topped with a simple glaze made with powdered sugar and more lemon juice. The result is a beautiful and flavorful dessert that is perfect for sharing with friends and family.
The Best Lemon Loaf Recipe
When it comes to lemon loaf, there are countless recipes out there. So, what makes this one the best? One of the biggest challenges with lemon loaf is achieving the perfect texture. Too dry, and it’s not enjoyable to eat. Too moist, and it can be heavy and soggy. This recipe strikes the perfect balance, resulting in a loaf that’s moist and tender without being too heavy.
Of course, the most important aspect of any lemon loaf is the lemon flavor. This recipe doesn’t disappoint. The combination of fresh lemon juice and lemon zest gives it a bright, tangy flavor that’s perfectly balanced with just the right amount of sweetness. Despite its impressive flavor and texture, this lemon loaf recipe is surprisingly easy to make. In fact, it only requires a handful of ingredients and doesn’t require any fancy equipment.
Overall, this lemon loaf recipe is the perfect combination of flavor, texture, and ease. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out, it’s definitely worth trying.
Variations of Iced Lemon Loaf
There are many variations of iced lemon loaf that can be made to suit different tastes and preferences. Here are a few ideas to try out:
- Blueberry Lemon Loaf: One delicious variation of iced lemon loaf is to add fresh blueberries to the batter. This adds a burst of sweetness and a pop of color to the loaf. To make a blueberry lemon loaf, simply fold in 1 cup of fresh blueberries into the batter before baking.
- Lemon Poppyseed Loaf: Another popular variation of iced lemon loaf is to add poppyseeds to the batter. This gives the loaf a slight crunch and a nutty flavor that complements the tartness of the lemon. To make a lemon poppyseed loaf, add 2 tablespoons of poppyseeds to the batter before baking.
- Lemon Coconut Loaf: For a tropical twist on iced lemon loaf, add shredded coconut to the batter. This adds a subtle sweetness and a chewy texture to the loaf. To make a lemon coconut loaf, fold in 1 cup of shredded coconut into the batter before baking.
- Lemon Cream Cheese Loaf: For a richer and creamier variation of iced lemon loaf, try adding cream cheese to the batter. This adds a tangy flavor and a smooth texture to the loaf. To make a lemon cream cheese loaf, mix 4 ounces of softened cream cheese into the batter before baking.
Iced Lemon Loaf Cake Ingredients
Sugar: You will need 1 cup of granulated sugar to help make this loaf tender and sweet.
Lemon zest: Use the zest of 1 lemon to help bring the fresh citrus flavor into every slice.
Lemon juice: Adding in ½ cup of lemon juice will make this loaf cake taste incredible. I find it easier to zest the lemon first, then extract the juice. For this recipe you need 2 lemons, for the juice in the batter and the icing.
Sour cream: By adding in ½ cup of sour cream it helps make the loaf moist and soft.
Olive oil: This loaf will need fats to stay moist, so add in ¼ cup of olive oil.
Milk: Use ¼ cup of milk to help the batter to be the desired consistency.
Eggs: You need 2 large eggs to bind the cake ingredients together perfectly.
Flour: The structural base of this loaf is 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
Leavening agents: You will need 1 tsp. of baking soda and ½ tsp. of baking powder to make this cake rise as it bakes.
Salt: Add ¼ tsp. of salt to help bring out and enhance the flavors in this loaf.
Butter: ½ cup of softened unsalted butter (one stick) will make our icing taste nice and rich.
Powder Sugar: Use 2 cups of powder sugar to make the icing smooth and sweet.
Milk: 1-2 TBSP of milk will get our icing to the right consistency, the amount depends on how thick you want the icing.
Lemon juice: Use 1 TBSP of lemon juice to make the icing well flavored.
How to make an Iced Lemon Loaf
To start, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and then grease the inside of one loaf pan. Set it aside.
Next, zest your lemon and set aside the needed amount.
Extract the juice from the lemon as well, you need 1 cup for the batter and 1 tablespoon for the icing.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour.
Then, make a well in the center of the dry mixed ingredients and set it aside.
After that, in a separate small bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and sugar until well blended. Set that aside.
Using a third small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, olive oil, lemon juice, and milk.
Proceed to pour the sour cream mixture into the egg mixture and then whisk them together well.
After that, add the wet ingredients to the well you made in the dry ingredients, adding it all at once.
Gently fold the dry and wet ingredients together until combined, be careful not over mix. Just enough to combine the ingredients together.
Then pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Place the loaf in the preheated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.
Allow the loaf to cool for 15-20 minutes before turning the loaf out onto a cooling rack.
Let cool completely before icing.
Make the icing
Prepare the icing by creaming together the butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of milk until smooth and creamy.
Add in additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed, until you have reached your desired consistency.
Once the loaf has cooled, spread or drizzle the icing over the top.
Slice, serve and enjoy.
Iced Lemon Loaf
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP lemon zest from 1 lemon
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups powder sugar
- 1-2 TBSP milk
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- Prep: Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease the inside of one loaf pan. Set it aside.
- Zest your lemon and set aside the 1 TBSP zest. Extract the juice from the lemon as well, you need ½ cup for the batter and 1 tablespoon for the icing.
- Batter: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. Make a well in the center of the dry mixed ingredients and set it aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and sugar until well blended. Set aside.
- Using a third small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, olive oil, lemon juice, and milk.
- Proceed to pour the sour cream mixture into the egg mixture and then whisk them together well.
- After that, add the wet ingredients to the well you made in the dry ingredients, adding it all at once. Gently fold the dry and wet ingredients together until combined, be careful not over mix. Just enough to combine the ingredients together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. Allow the loaf to cool for 15-20 minutes before turning the loaf out onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely before icing.
- Lemon Icing: Prepare the icing by creaming together the butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of milk until smooth and creamy. Add in additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed, until you have reached your desired consistency.
- Once the loaf has cooled, spread or drizzle the icing over the top. Enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
When to serve a lemon loaf?
This yummy quick bread is a perfect treat for any occasion. From a simple Sunday brunch to mothers day or even a weeknight after-dinner treat. Serving it up in the morning with a nice cup of coffee or tea is also a welcomed experience. No matter the occasion, I am sure you’ll find many reasons to whip up a tasty loaf soon!
How long is iced lemon loaf recipe good for?
This loaf can be kept stored well covered in an airtight container for up to 3 days. This should be no issue because you’ll most likely want to consume it within a day (I know I always do.)
Can I freeze this iced lemon loaf cake recipe?
Yes, this loaf freezes quite well! I recommend not adding any icing to the cake until after it has been thawed, though (for appearance reasons). You can freeze your unfrosted loaf for up to a month in an airtight container. Thaw and add icing before serving.
Try more lemon dessert recipes that you’ll love here:
- LEMON BLUEBERRY POUND CAKE
- LAYERED LEMON CHIFFON CAKE
- LEMON CAKE MIX COOKIES
- LEMON BAR CHEESECAKE
- EASY LEMON CAKE
- LEMON STRAWBERRY POKE CAKE
- BANANA CUPCAKES with LEMON BUTTERCREAM
- MINI LEMON DROP CUPCAKES
- LEMON CAKE TRUFFLES
- LEMON RASPBERRY BUNDT CAKE
- EASY LEMON CHEESECAKE BARS
- LEMON POKE CAKE RECIPE
Iced Lemon Loaf is so delectable and is perfect for breakfast, as a snack, or as a simple dessert! This lemon pound cake is a great recipe and is sure to bring you a little bit of sunshine with every bite!