Bacon Cheddar Cornbread is an irresistible savory side dish that starts with a cornbread mix & adds bacon, butter, seasonings & cheddar cheese! Amazing bacon cornbread to serve alongside dinner.
You cannot go wrong with this recipe, it is packed with yummy bacon bits, onion, sour cream, and cheese. This Bacon Cornbread recipe is so simple to make, and we even make it easier by using a boxed cornbread mix as the base! The incredible pairing of the corn bread, gooey cheese and smokey bacon flavor, makes for a spectacular result. This dish will easily become a family favorite and will be requested regularly and often!
This is a very popular dish, especially in the south, it is typically inexpensive to make and could be made in many different forms. Our cornbread recipe is enhanced because it is packed with other delicious ingredients. For example, we are using sour cream to make the cornbread super moist and rich while also adding in onions, cheese, and crispy bacon for a wonderful flavor combination. You could even add in a drained can of corn if desired (not creamed corn).
Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Casserole Ingredients
-Cornbread mix: You will need a 15-ounce box of store-bought cornbread mix. I used Krusteax Honey cornbread but you can use your favorite brand if desired. Be aware cooking time may vary depending on the cornbread mix you choose
-Onion: Use ⅓ cup of chopped onion, you can use a sweet onion, white onion, or even red onion for this recipe.
-Bacon: Use ⅓ cup of chopped bacon bits so that there’s plenty to go around. You can use actual bacon bits or cooked bacon that you chopped yourself. Crispy bacon is the best option for this recipe, the crunchy added to the moist bread makes for a lovely texture.
-Seasonings: You will need ½ teaspoon of onion powder and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper.
-Butter: You will want to use ⅓ cup of melted butter plus another tablespoon of butter for the onion and bacon mixture.
-Sour cream: Use ⅓ cup of sour cream to get your cornbread moist and rich in texture.
-Milk: You will want to use ⅓ cup of milk to help get the cornbread batter to the right consistency.
-Egg: Use 1 egg to help bind the batter together well.
-Cheese: Adding 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese will really make this casserole incredible. The amount will be divided amongst the steps.
How to make bacon cheddar cornbread
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Grease the inside of an 8×8 square baking dish with non-stick spray or butter and then set it aside.
Prepare the onions by chopping into small pieces. If you are using fresh bacon, prepare in a pan until crispy and let cool. Once bacon is cool, chop into small bite size pieces.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cornbread with the ingredients as shown on the box. Then and approximately ¾ cup of shredded cheese. Mix until the cheese is coated and then set it aside.
In a small pan over medium heat, melt one tablespoon of butter and add in the chopped onion and bacon bits. Mix until the onion becomes translucent. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Note, if desired you can just add the onion and bacon to the casserole without cooking it but giving it a little time on the stove really helps to bring out the best flavors.
Then add your onion and bacon mix to the cornbread mix and stir until evenly coated.
Continue to add in the onion powder, salt, and black pepper to the cornbread mixture.
Now add in the melted butter, egg, milk, and sour cream, whisking until all of the ingredients have been well incorporated.
Pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
Bake in the oven for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out clean. Remember that if you poke into the center through the cheese you may have to take the cheese into consideration as it may make your toothpick messy and appear wet.
Slice and serve warm. Enjoy!
Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Casserole
- 15 oz cornbread mix I used Krusteaz Honey Cornbread
- ⅓ cup chopped white onion sweet, white, or red will work
- ⅓ cup bacon bits if you have bacon strips and chopped them it will work as well
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅓ cup melted butter + 1 tablespoon for the onion and bacon
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided, 3/4 cup for mixing in. The rest for the top of the bread.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the inside of an 8×8 square baking dish with non-stick spray or butter and then set it aside.
- Prepare the onions by chopping into small pieces. If you are using fresh bacon, prepare in a pan until crispy and let cool. Once bacon is cool, chop into small bite size pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cornbread mix and approximately ¾ cup of shredded cheese. Mix until the cheese is coated. Set aside.
- In a small pan, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add the chopped onion and bacon bits. Mix until the onion becomes translucent. 3 to 4 minutes. *NOTE* You can add the onion and bacon directly to the cornbread mixture if you want. I like to warm them up in the pan so the flavor of bacon and onion can be more evenly spread.
- Add the onion/bacon mixture to the cornbread mix. Mix until the bacon and onion are coated.
- Add the onion powder, salt, and ground pepper and mix until all blend in.
- Add the melted butter (1/3 cup), egg, milk, and sour cream. Whisk until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining of cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 27 minutes or until the edges are set and nice and golden. Note here if you poke a toothpick in the middle and come back not clean, take into consideration you have cheese in the mixture. Serve & enjoy!
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
Can I make this casserole in advance?
Yes, this cornbread casserole is great for making ahead. You can whip up the mixture in a baking dish and chill it, covered, in the fridge for up to a few hours in advance. You can also bake it up to a day early, keep it stored in the fridge and simply reheat it before serving. Reheating it is optional as it will also taste great at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Why is my cornbread casserole crumbly?
If you overmix your cornbread batter you may end up with a crumbly texture this is because the glutens in the mix have been overworked. Remember that you should only mix to combine once the actual cornbread mix has been added to the batter.
Can I freeze and store this cornbread?
Definitely, cornbread freezes beautifully. Wait until it has fully cooled, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then put it in a freezer safe ziplocked bag. In the freezer it will last 3-4 months. When ready to eat simply bring it to room temperate and reheat.
Check out these other great cornbread recipes
Bacon Cheddar Cornbread is an irresistible dish that is perfect any family gathering or holiday event. This bacon cornbread is a tasty blend of moist bread with the added flavor of crispy bacon, seriously, what’s not to love about this recipe?
Bill Lyons Bill says
Yum Yum is all I have to say. I love making cornbread, I’ve never made it with sour cream and cheddar cheese but in doing this you can also add with the onion diced up bell pepper and diced jalapeño and I add a little bit of sugar to the corn bread batter.
So glad you liked it Bill!!