WISCONSIN CAULIFLOWER SOUP

It’s cold outside. A whopping 28 degrees last time I checked. This time of year, I relish in serving all different kinds of soups for dinner. I got a head of cauliflower from the co-op this last week and decided a good use of it would be Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup. Have you tried it? It’s served at Cafe Zupas, a favorite restaurant of mine and yum- you’ll love it!

I used the recipe found on The Coterie Blog. Thanks Heather!

Don’t be afraid that it’s made primarily from milk, water and cauliflower. I served it to my family without telling them what was in it. You know what? Even my husband had no idea! I told him it was cauliflower soup and he said he never would have guessed! It’s rich and creamy and just tastes like a wonderful chowder.

I substituted Colby-Jack cheese for the Pepper Jack, being as that’s what I had on hand. I think it would be fantastic with diced ham and maybe even some fresh tomato as a topping.

Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup

2 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk**
1 1/2 cups water**
1 can (13 3/4 to 14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
1 head (2 1/2 pounds) cauliflower, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded

**Can substitute 1 can {12 oz} evaporated milk and 2 cups water for the 2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups water.

In a large saucepan, melt margarine or butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, and water.

Add cauliflower and heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes.

In blender (with center part of blender cover removed to allow steam to escape), blend cauliflower mixture at low speed in small batches until very smooth. {Don’t let this step deter you from making the soup! Blending it is really easy and so worth the extra 3 minutes. The most annoying part are the added dishes!} If you have an immersion blender, use it- it literally takes less than a minute to blend.

Return cauliflower mixture to saucepan; heat over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in mustard and 1 1/2 cups cheese until melted and smooth. Serve soup with remaining cheese as a garnish.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. Serena says

Mmm…I can't wait to try this one, once the weather here cools down! I love your step by step directions with all of the pictures…looks great!

Love Zupa's and love cauliflower! Thanks for the recipe. BTW, an immersion blender can make your life a whole lot easier when making soups like this. I don't use mine often, but I'm glad to have it when I need it.

Thanks for the recipe! I love this soup at Zupa's! BTW, an immersion blender can really make your life easier when making soups, salsas, etc. I don't use mine often, but I'm glad to have it when I do.

I tried this and was not a fan. No one in my family cared for it either. I have since tried zupas and really liked it but this isn't the same….

• says

What kind of cheese did you use? If you used Pepper Jack, chances are it&#39;d be plenty flavorful. I showed I used Colby Jack in my pictures- I have kids who aren&#39;t fans of anything with too much flavor. ;) <br /><br />You really can do a lot with this soup if you want it more flavorful- add in a little hot sauce if that&#39;s your thing. I think it&#39;d be great with a little Smoky Paprika

I tried this soup and I thought it was fantastic. I haven&#39;t tried Zupa&#39;s so I can&#39;t compare it. I used the pepper jack and I don&#39;t think I would like it as much without that extra kick- unless it had ham or veggies mixed in (or both). Thanks for sharing!

This was really good! It was close to Zupas but much more spicy. Next time i&#39;ll use colby jack or more cheddar and less pepper jack!

I think there is a typo your recipe – it calls for 1 cup of Pepper Jack – though I think based on your picture and the way the soup is supposed to taste – that you meant Colby Jack. Super yummy that way!

• says

Hi Lauri- I stated at the top that I substituted Colby Jack for the Pepper Jack. My kids don&#39;t like Pepper Jack so I never have it on hand. I think it&#39;d be fabulous in it though. Or maybe half and half… ;)

Made tonight and my Wisconsinite fiancé approved!! It was very delicious. We both like heat and flavor so I used habanero pepper jack from WI and added just a little extra of both cheeses to help thicken the soup and flavor a little. I think the flavor would probably be a little bland without the pepper jack. I WILL be making this again. Couldn&#39;t detect the cauliflower at all!

This is a perfect knock-off, it was just like Zupa&#39;s! My immersion blender made it super easy. I will make this again and again, and I&#39;ve already recommended it to many. Thanks for the share