CHICKEN AND STUFFING CASSEROLE
Creamy chicken and stuffing casserole recipe has great flavor & is a warm, comforting chicken dinner everyone loves! Made with chicken, stuffing & pantry ingredients, this hearty dish is a family favorite!
- 12 oz Stuffing mix
- 1 ½ pounds chicken tenderloin cubed I cut them bite-size
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika note if you used smoked paprika it may change the final flavor with a smokier flavor
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth your preference if you prefer low sodium or regular. I used low sodium
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
Prepare your stuffing the way you like it or according to the instructions on the packaging. Once your stuffing is ready, set it aside until ready to use.
In a large mixing bowl, add the condensed cream of mushroom, condensed cream of chicken, and sour cream. Mix until combined.
Add the onion powder, celery seed, salt, and ground pepper. Mix slightly. Add paprika and Worcestershire sauce. Mix slightly.
Add chicken broth and mix until all spices and broth are well incorporated into the mixture.
Add the cut chicken pieces and mix until the chicken is all coated with the soup/spice mixture.
Pour into a 9x13 pan (that's previously been sprayed with non-stick spray) and spread evenly.
Add the stuffing on top of the chicken. For this step, I would highly suggest adding the stuffing one spoon at a time so it is easier to have a more even layer as it will be more challenging to spread.
Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature. The mixture will be nice and bubbly with a crust on the stuffing. Cool for a few minutes and serve!
You can use any brand or type of stuffing that you like and prefer. I used Cornbread stuffing from Pepperidge Farm. This is how I prepared it:
Also, you can prepare the filling and marinate your chicken in a covered bowl overnight if you wish. This will make dinner the following day much easier and quicker.
- In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add ½ cup each diced celery, carrots & onions. Cook the vegetables until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil
- Once it is boiling, turn off the heat and add the stuffing. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated, and stuffing is all “wet."
- Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and serve.
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 1455mg | Potassium: 729mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 295IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 3mg