– ¾ cup butter divided – 15 cups mini marshmallows divided – 12 cups crispy rice cereal divided – 1 ½ teaspoons clear vanilla extract divided – 6 drops blue food coloring – 8-9 drops red food coloring
– In a large pot, over medium-low heat, melt ¼ cup of butter. Once the butter has melted, add in 5 cups of mini marshmallows, stirring often until almost melted. If you like your treats stickier, add an additional cup of marshmallows to each batch.
– Then, add in the red food coloring, a little at a time until you get your desired color.
– Proceed to remove the pot from the heat and stir in 4 cups of rice crispy cereal. The marshmallow cools down quickly, so be prepared to mix in the cereal immediately after removing them from the heat. Stir until the cereal is well coated.
– Pour the cereal into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly while pressing down firmly into a layer. Use the back of a buttered spoon to smooth out the top.
– Now do the last layer in the same way, but use blue food coloring to complete the patriotic colors. Again, same amount of butter, mini marshmallows, vanilla extract and rice krispies. Then add in the blue food coloring, this is the 3rd and final layer for this treat.
– Spray the star shaped cookie cutter with some non-stick cooking spray to prevent the marshmallow from sticking to it. Then, use the star shaped cookie cutter to cut the Krispies into star shapes.