Stop overpaying for fancy chocolate candies when you can make your own with this two-ingredient chocolate covered caramels recipe. These candies are sweet, chewy, and oh so easy to make!
My family and I have been happily enjoying this recipe for years. Made with just two ingredients and completely customizable, there’s an endless sea of possibilities. If you like caramel and chocolate, you may also enjoy my CHOCOLATE CARAMEL TURTLE PIE or my CHOCOLATE CARAMEL APPLES.
Chocolate Covered Caramel Candy
To make this recipe, you’ll want to make sure that you use individually wrapped soft caramels. The results are a nice crisp chocolate shell over a chewy soft caramel. While these may not be 100% homemade, they are still much tastier than any store-bought chocolate caramel candies (probably because everything tastes better when you make it yourself).
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s the simplest recipe you’ll ever find! Okay, so maybe there are a few other easy 2 ingredient recipes out there that are just as easy, but this one only takes a few moments to make and requires no real effort, mixing, baking, measuring, etc.
- It’s versatile. Enjoy your caramel chocolates as-is or add your favorite toppings like sea salt, sprinkles, and more.
- They make great gifts. Hand these out at the holidays, in goodie bags, or serve them up on Valentine’s day to loved ones; these caramels are sure to disappear every time.
Chocolate Caramels Ingredients
Caramels– You will need 1 bag of soft caramel candies, like Kraft caramels.
Chocolate– Use 4 of the 5-ounce sized Bakers brand semi-sweet baking chocolate.
Toppings– You can select any number of toppings to mix and match with your tastes. Feel free to use sea salt, white chocolate drizzles, nuts, or even rainbow sprinkles!
How to Make Chocolate Covered Caramels
Unwrap all of the caramels and set them aside so that they are ready to dip and use.
In a microwave-safe dish, place all of the chocolate and melt it in 30-second intervals, stirring between each until smooth.
Use a toothpick of a wooden skewer to stick into the caramels and dip them into the melted chocolate without making a mess.
Gently tap the skewer against the side of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate.
Place the dipped caramels onto a cooling rack that is placed over a baking sheet to catch the excess drips of chocolate. (This is much easier to clean up).
While the dipped caramels are still wet, sprinkle and of your desired toppings over the top.
Place all of the caramels into the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes to set and harden.
CHOCOLATE COVERED CARAMELS
- 1 11oz bag of Kraft Caramels
- 4-5 oz Bakers Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
- Sea Salt
- White Chocolate Drizzles
- Unwrap all the Caramels and have them ready for dipping. Melt the baking chocolate in a microwave safe dish in the microwave. The best way to do this is to microwave it for 30 seconds, then mix. Then microwave it for another 30 seconds and mix. Then microwave it in 10 second intervals until you melt the entire block.
- Using a toothpick or wooden skewer, stick the sharp end into the caramel and dip into the melted chocolate. Gently tap the skewer or toothpick on the edge of the bowl to get rid of the excess chocolate.
- Place each caramel on a cooling rack. I placed a baking tray underneath to catch the excess chocolate.
- While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle any desired toppings on top. Place all caramels in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden. Then enjoy!! It really is that easy and they taste delicious.
📫 Save this recipe! Send it to your email! 📩
I consent to receiving emails from this site.
What Caramels Can I Use?
If you aren’t a fan of Kraft Caramels, the Werther’s Chewy Caramels work great also, and personally, I think they taste a little better!!
Can I freeze chocolate covered caramels?
Yes, these candies can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container. I recommend letting them sit at room temperature for a few minutes before chewing them, as they can be really hard straight out of the freezer. Note that condensation and “sweat” on the chocolate is normal as it goes from frozen to room temperature.
How long are chocolate caramels good for?
These caramels are good for up to 2 weeks if kept stored in an airtight container. I recommend keeping them stored in the fridge for the best results, especially if your home is warm. We don’t want the chocolate to melt and get too messy.
Looking for more candy recipes? We’ve got you covered!
- BANANA CREAM PIE MUDDY BUDDIES
- THE BEST HOMEMADE CARAMEL SAUCE
- S’MORES FUDGE
- EASTER EGG OREO BALLS
- TURTLE CANDY RECIPE
- CADBURY EASTER EGG FUDGE
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH TRUFFLES
- CHOCOLATE CHERRY OREO BALLS
- EASY CHOCOLATE NUT CLUSTERS
- CREAMY VELVEETA FUDGE
- MAPLE CINNAMON PEANUT BRITTLE
- CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CANDY
These chocolate covered caramels are almost too good to eat. You’re going to love making them look fancy with just 2 ingredients. Enjoy them all year long.